Forced Convection: Heat Transfer & Air Velocity

• Thread starter masterkeith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convection
In summary, for help with understanding the relationship between air velocity and heat in a forced convection situation, I recommend checking out books such as "Convection Heat Transfer" and "Introduction to Heat Transfer," as well as online resources. The convective heat transfer coefficient equation will be useful for your scenario with a CPU and varying air velocities. Best of luck with your project!
masterkeith
Hi everyone,
Ive come here not for an answer but to see if anyone can point me in the direction of a published book or equivilent to help me with some simple convection ideas.

Im looking to basically outline the relationship between air velocity and heat in a forced convection situation. Its to do with computers so for example...

A CPU produces a constant 30W of heat with an airflow of 1.18 m/s. An increase in air velocity to 2.36m/s will incure a heat reduction of **W. Excuse the rather basic ideas here but this is alittle side project to an acoustics assignment.

Anyone got any ideas of books which might show me some relevant equations? I have had a look at a few but can't find much to help me.

Thanks

masterkeith

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello masterkeith,

Thank you for reaching out to the community for help with your convection project. I suggest looking into the book "Convection Heat Transfer" by Adrian Bejan and William Jones. This book covers the fundamentals of convection and includes equations and examples for forced convection situations. Another helpful resource could be "Introduction to Heat Transfer" by Frank P. Incropera and David P. DeWitt, which also covers convection in detail. Additionally, there are many online resources available that provide equations and examples for convection, such as engineeringtoolbox.com or khanacademy.org.

When it comes to your specific scenario with a CPU and varying air velocities, the equation you will need is the convective heat transfer coefficient equation, which takes into account the air velocity, temperature difference, and surface area. You can then use this coefficient to calculate the heat transfer rate and determine the change in heat with different air velocities. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

I can recommend a few resources that may help you understand the relationship between air velocity and heat transfer in forced convection. One useful book is "Convective Heat and Mass Transfer" by W.M. Kays and M.E. Crawford, which covers the basic principles and equations of convection. Another helpful resource is the Handbook of Heat Transfer by Warren M. Rohsenow, James P. Hartnett, and Young I. Cho, which includes detailed information on forced convection and equations for calculating heat transfer coefficients. Additionally, you may want to consult journal articles in the field of heat transfer and fluid mechanics for more specific information on the relationship between air velocity and heat transfer in forced convection. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is forced convection?

Forced convection is the transfer of heat from a surface to a fluid (such as air or water) that is continuously moving or flowing over it. This movement is typically caused by a fan, pump, or other mechanical means.

2. What factors affect forced convection heat transfer?

The rate of forced convection heat transfer is influenced by several factors, including the velocity of the fluid, the temperature difference between the surface and the fluid, the physical properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density), and the geometry of the surface.

3. How is air velocity related to forced convection heat transfer?

The velocity of the air is a critical factor in forced convection heat transfer. As the air moves faster over a surface, it increases the rate of heat transfer by carrying away more heat and bringing in cooler air to replace it. Therefore, higher air velocities result in higher rates of heat transfer.

4. What are some applications of forced convection heat transfer?

Forced convection heat transfer has numerous applications, including in HVAC systems, industrial processes, and cooking. It is also essential in cooling electronic devices, such as computers, to prevent overheating.

5. How is forced convection different from natural convection?

Natural convection is the transfer of heat due to the buoyancy of hot fluid particles, while forced convection is driven by an external force, such as a fan or pump. Natural convection occurs in still fluids, while forced convection requires the fluid to be in motion. Additionally, forced convection typically results in higher rates of heat transfer compared to natural convection.