Forced oscillations without damping

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equations of motion for an undamped horizontal spring system driven by a periodic force. The potential energy and driving force are given, as well as the natural frequency of the system. The solution for the system is presented, but there is confusion about the significance of the term "a" introduced by the teacher. It is eventually clarified that "a" represents the amplitude of a non-periodic driving force, which is determined by the spring constant. The conversation concludes with a statement from the textbook explaining the behavior of the system at low frequencies.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

We are to develop the equations of motion for an undamped horizontal spring system, the mass of which is being driven by a periodic force: F=F0 cos wt. I know how to do it but my teacher has defined an odd term, the meaning of which I want to be clarified.

Homework Equations

The potential energy of the system is V = 1/2 kx^2. So the force is -kx.
The driving force is F0 cos wt.
The natural frequency of the system is w0^2 = k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

So, here's my solution:
[itex]m\ddot{x}+kx = F_{0} cos(ωt)[/itex]

My teacher has the same thing. But what he does next is that he says
[itex]a = \frac{F_{0}}{k}[/itex]

And then:
[itex]\ddot{x}+ω^{2}_{0}x = ω^{2}_{0} a cos(ωt)[/itex]

Which is all fine...but what the heck is [itex]a[/itex]? is it just some random thing or is it something of physical significance?

Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that the applied force were constant, at its max value F0. What would F0/k represent?

By constant, do you mean it's not periodic? That means it has sort infinite time period. So it's like moving it in a straight line. Logically I'd think that F0/k would be the extension of the spring due to the force but I'm not sure if that's correct...

sort of*

I think my reasoning for this is correct.

Consider first that the frequency of the driving force goes to zero.

[itex]lim_{ω\rightarrow0}\:F_{0}cos(ωt) = ... [/itex]

The driving force then goes to it's max value of [itex]F_{0}[/itex]
This can now be described by Hooke's Law (considering only the magnitude, not direction):

[itex]F_{0} = kx → x = F_{0}/k [/itex]

So essentially [itex] a [/itex] can be thought of a non-periodic driving force amplitude, where the spring constant effectively determines the value of it.

My textbook literally reads: "At very low frequencies the amplitude of oscillations tends to the value of the amplitude a of the point of suspension. Under these conditions the motion is governed by the spring constant of the spring."

Dixanadu said:
I'd think that F0/k would be the extension of the spring due to the force
Quite so.

1. What are forced oscillations without damping?

Forced oscillations without damping refer to a system in which a periodic external force is applied to a mass-spring system, causing the mass to oscillate without any resistance from damping forces. This results in the amplitude of the oscillations being maintained over time, rather than gradually decreasing.

2. How do forced oscillations without damping differ from damped oscillations?

The main difference is that forced oscillations without damping have a constant amplitude, while damped oscillations experience a gradual decrease in amplitude due to the presence of damping forces. Additionally, forced oscillations without damping have a constant frequency, while the frequency of damped oscillations decreases over time.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of forced oscillations without damping?

The amplitude of forced oscillations without damping is affected by the frequency and amplitude of the external force, as well as the natural frequency of the mass-spring system. If the external frequency is equal to the natural frequency, it will result in resonant oscillations with a larger amplitude.

4. Can forced oscillations without damping occur in real-world systems?

Yes, forced oscillations without damping can occur in real-world systems. For example, a child on a swing experiences forced oscillations without damping when being pushed at a consistent frequency. Another example is a tuning fork, which produces forced oscillations without damping when struck.

5. How can forced oscillations without damping be useful in scientific research?

Forced oscillations without damping can be useful in studying the behavior of oscillating systems and understanding the effects of external forces on them. They can also be used to measure the natural frequency of a system and to determine the presence of damping forces. In addition, forced oscillations without damping can be used in the design of mechanical systems to reduce the effects of damping and maintain a constant frequency and amplitude of oscillations.