1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced oscillations without damping

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are to develop the equations of motion for an undamped horizontal spring system, the mass of which is being driven by a periodic force: F=F0 cos wt. I know how to do it but my teacher has defined an odd term, the meaning of which I want to be clarified.

2. Relevant equations

The potential energy of the system is V = 1/2 kx^2. So the force is -kx.
    The driving force is F0 cos wt.
    The natural frequency of the system is w0^2 = k/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, here's my solution:
    [itex]m\ddot{x}+kx = F_{0} cos(ωt)[/itex]

My teacher has the same thing. But what he does next is that he says
    [itex]a = \frac{F_{0}}{k}[/itex]

And then:
    [itex]\ddot{x}+ω^{2}_{0}x = ω^{2}_{0} a cos(ωt)[/itex]

Which is all fine...but what the heck is [itex]a[/itex]? is it just some random thing or is it something of physical significance?

Thanks a lot guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Suppose that the applied force were constant, at its max value F0. What would F0/k represent?

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    By constant, do you mean it's not periodic? That means it has sort infinite time period. So it's like moving it in a straight line. Logically I'd think that F0/k would be the extension of the spring due to the force but I'm not sure if that's correct...

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4
    sort of*

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5
    I think my reasoning for this is correct.

Consider first that the frequency of the driving force goes to zero.

[itex]lim_{ω\rightarrow0}\:F_{0}cos(ωt) = .... [/itex]

The driving force then goes to it's max value of [itex]F_{0}[/itex]
    This can now be described by Hooke's Law (considering only the magnitude, not direction):

[itex]F_{0} = kx → x = F_{0}/k [/itex]

So essentially [itex] a [/itex] can be thought of a non-periodic driving force amplitude, where the spring constant effectively determines the value of it.

My textbook literally reads: "At very low frequencies the amplitude of oscillations tends to the value of the amplitude a of the point of suspension. Under these conditions the motion is governed by the spring constant of the spring."

7. Apr 17, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quite so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted