Understanding Forces on Submerged Surfaces

In summary, the author is trying to explain how the force FV is related to the forces FH and Fx. He does not explain what a vertical projection and a horizontal projection are, but they seem to be similar to what he is describing.
werson tan

Homework Statement

i don't understand the statement 1 and 2 , can someone help to explain ?

for 1 , does the author mean Fh= Fv ??

for 2 , does the author mean Fv = Fh + W ? but in statement 1 , Fh already = Fv

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20160225_173918[1].jpg
    IMG_20160225_173918[1].jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
I struggle to read the subscripts in the attachment, they're a bit fuzzy, so I could be wrong, but here's what I think it says.
First the "horizontal projection" of the curved surface here means an imaginary horizontal surface found by projecting the curved surface down onto a horizontal plane passing through the lower edge of the curved surface. The force FV is the normal force that acts on that surface (so it is the pressure at that depth multiplied by the area of the horizontal surface).
Similarly, FH is the force acting on an imaginary vertical surface, as shown. (The pressure in that case varies with depth. FH is the integral of that pressure.)
The force acting on the curved surface is F, and this has horizontal and vertical conponents Fx and Fy respectively.
The text shows:
FH=Fx
FV=Fy+W
Which seems perfectly reasonable.

Likes werson tan
werson tan said:

Homework Statement

i don't understand the statement 1 and 2 , can someone help to explain ?

for 1 , does the author mean Fh= Fv ??

for 2 , does the author mean Fv = Fh + W ? but in statement 1 , Fh already = Fv
Hi, werson tan.
For 1, No he does not mean that Fh=Fv.

It is confusing by what the author means by "vertical projection of the curved surface."
The author himself does not explain it very well , so I do attribute some of fault of understanding to his in not referencing what he does actually means with the terms a vertical projection and horizontal projection.
( He is using the orientation of the plane for describing the projection rather than the direction of projecting the surface onto a plane. If he would have said "a projection onto a vertical plane" or "a projection onto a horizontal plane" it might have been more clear. )

If you take a look at Fig. 3-33, the vertical line where Fx is acting is the "vertical projection of the curved surface."
For the author, a vertical projection to him is,
- looking at the curved surface in the horizontal direction, the curved surface can be projected onto a vertical plane. This is where Fx acts.
Similarly, for the author, a horizontal projection is,
- looking at the curved surface in the vertical direction, the curved surface can be projected onto a horizontal plane. This is where Fy acts.

Hope that helps.

For some reason the connection terminated to PF around 0300hrs before I could post, so haruspex beat me in answereing.

Likes werson tan

What are the different types of forces that act on a submerged surface?

The three main types of forces that act on a submerged surface are buoyant force, hydrostatic pressure, and shear force. Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged. Hydrostatic pressure is the force exerted by a fluid at a certain depth due to the weight of the fluid above it. Shear force is the force that acts parallel to the surface of an object, causing it to move or deform.

How do you calculate the buoyant force on a submerged surface?

The buoyant force on a submerged surface can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be represented by the equation FB = ρVg, where FB is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the significance of the center of pressure in determining the forces on a submerged surface?

The center of pressure is the point at which the total force acting on a submerged surface is considered to act. It is important to consider the center of pressure when analyzing the forces on a submerged surface as it can affect the stability and equilibrium of the object. If the center of pressure is not aligned with the center of mass, the object may experience a turning moment, causing it to tip or rotate.

How does the shape of a submerged surface affect the forces acting on it?

The shape of a submerged surface plays a significant role in determining the forces acting on it. For example, a curved surface will experience a different distribution of hydrostatic pressure compared to a flat surface. Additionally, the shape of a surface can also affect the magnitude and direction of the shear force acting on it.

What is the difference between internal and external forces on a submerged surface?

Internal forces on a submerged surface are generated within the object itself, such as stress and strain on the surface material. External forces, on the other hand, are caused by the interaction between the surface and the surrounding fluid, such as the buoyant force and hydrostatic pressure. Both types of forces need to be considered when analyzing the behavior of a submerged surface.