Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formation of a wavefunction, charge density

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1
    I was studying Density functional theory, the premise of whose reasoning needs one to accept the phenomenon that when we place electrons into a potential, they "arrange" themselves into an unique wave function/charge density.

Are there any forces that oppose this arrangement? (other than the Columbic ones).

Anything we can say about entropy in this context?

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean here. DFT concerns the ground state of the electrons, which is a very well defined state.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3
    You're referring to the Hohenberg–Kohn theorem. It's just a uniqueness theorem - given some density [itex] n(\vec{r}) [/itex] there is a unique potential corresponding to such a density.

Or, flipped around, given a specific potential, there is only one unique solution, in terms of the density, to the problem.

The rest of you question really doesn't make sense.

5. Jan 31, 2014 #4
    The question indeed does not make sense. It has nothing to do specifically with DFT, but more with information theory.

I am aware of the HK theorems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook