Formula for determining if one vector is a multiple for two others

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for determining x in the equation x = 3v1 - 2v2. It is determined that trial and error is necessary and Gaussian Elimination does not work. The solution is found by comparing the components of the vectors and solving a set of equations. The individual also mentions their mistake in using Gaussian Elimination and understanding the solution.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-13at111042AM.png

Screenshot2012-05-13at111113AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there a formula for determining

x = 3v1 - 2v2

It looks like you just have to do trial and error. I tried Gaussian Elimination on the two vectors and got -1.5 and .5 so that didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean, how to find a1 and a2? Just substitute the given vectors and solve.

Quite simply, by comparing the three components of the vector on each side of the equation, the following things must be true:
[tex]x^1 = a_1 v^1_1 + a_2 v^1_2[/tex]
[tex]x^2 = a_1 v^2_1 + a_2 v^2_2[/tex]
[tex]x^3 = a_1 v^3_1 + a_2 v^3_2[/tex]
where the superscript denotes the first, second or third element of the vector. This leads to the set of equations
[tex]-1 = a_1 + 2 a_2[/tex]
[tex]-3 = -a_1[/tex]
[tex]4 = 2a_1 + a_2[/tex]
From there it should be obvious how that solution was obtained.

I mean how they found out that 3 times vector 1 - 2 times vector 2 = x = (-1,-3,4)

Steely Dan, thanks, I got it.

when i did gaussian elimination i wrote the vector horizontally rather than vertically, that's why I was wrong.

FAQ: Formula for determining if one vector is a multiple for two others

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What is a multiple of a vector?

A multiple of a vector is a vector that has been multiplied by a scalar (a real number). This results in a vector with the same direction, but a different magnitude.

3. How do you determine if one vector is a multiple of two others?

To determine if one vector is a multiple of two others, you can use the formula: v1 = kv2 + lv3, where v1 is the vector you want to test, v2 and v3 are the other two vectors, and k and l are scalars. If this equation is satisfied, then v1 is a multiple of both v2 and v3.

4. What is the significance of determining if one vector is a multiple of two others?

Determining if one vector is a multiple of two others can help in solving systems of linear equations, as it can show if the equations are dependent (have infinitely many solutions) or independent (have a unique solution).

5. Can one vector be a multiple of two others if they are not parallel?

Yes, one vector can still be a multiple of two others even if they are not parallel. This is because the scalar multiples can change the magnitude and direction of the vectors, making them appear to be non-parallel. However, if the vectors are not parallel, then the equation v1 = kv2 + lv3 may not be satisfied for all values of k and l, and therefore the vector may not be a multiple of the other two.

Back