Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for mixing liquids of different temperatures?

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    I'm going to fill a big container (3500 litres) with water. I'll use water from a hose, and boiled water, and I want to hit 40 degrees celcius.

Now, I figured that this was straight forward,

Temperature in hose = 10 C
    Temperature of boiled water = 100 C

( 100 * X + (3500 - X) * 10 ) / 3500 = 40

Which gives 1166 litres of boiling water.

However, this assumes that 1 litre of 10 C water + 1 litre of 20 C water = 2 litres of 15 C water. In other words, that I can just add the temperatures together and then divide by the total amount of liquid.

Someone (who unfortunatly was not able to provide a formula) said it is not as straight forward as that.. so, I'm looking for the formula for mixing liquids of different temperatures.

k

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How precise do you need to be? I guess you could take thermal expansion into account if you wanted to, but the simple weighted-average method you used should be good enough for most applications.

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    Oh, ok then I am golden. I only need to be accurate enough to avoid boiling anyone that ventures into the pool :)

Thanks a lot.

k

5. Jul 24, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also do a test by making 3.5 liters first, using 1.17 L of boiling water.

6. Jul 24, 2008 #5
    Yeah, I'll do a small scale test first, to make sure.

Thanks again.

k

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?