How to find the surface area of a sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for determining the surface area of a sphere without using calculus. One method suggested is to differentiate the formula for the volume of a ball with respect to the radius. Another method involves using an infinite number of triangles to approximate the area of the sphere. Archimedes' method of using regular polygons is also mentioned. However, it is noted that in general, some form of limit process or calculus is necessary to accurately calculate the area of a curved surface.
live4physics
4 Pi r2

I know this formula, but anyone knows, how can I figure out (by methods, algebra) the sphere surface formula ?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might, for example, differentiate the formula for the volume of a ball with respect to the radius.

There are many other ways as well.

arildno said:
You might, for example, differentiate the formula for the volume of a ball with respect to the radius.

Sorry, I did not say, but I would like not to use calculus for this, just geometry or algebra for demonstration.

For exemple:
the triangle area is:
[tex] A_{t} = \frac{b h} { 2 } [/tex]
if I put a triangle inside a circle, where the top of it is the centre of circle, and I use infinity number of triangles, and with base near to zero, the sum of all bases is igual [tex] 2 r \pi [/tex] and the height will be iqual the radius of circle, then, the area of circle will be the sum of area for all triangles, i.e.,

[tex] A_{c} = \frac{2 r \pi r } { 2 } = \pi r^2 [/tex]

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Well, you might have a go at Archimedes' way of proving it, here's a link to a page describing that method:
http://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/~schultz/3M3/L7Archimedes1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Archimedes (although he didn't know it) invented integral calculus to get things like the calculation of pi by taking the limit of areas of regular polygons to get the area of a circle.

In general there is no way to determine the area under a curve or of a curved surface without using some kind of limit process, which is at least walking on the boundary of calculus.

FAQ: How to find the surface area of a sphere?

What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a sphere is 4πr2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

How is the surface area of a sphere different from its volume?

The surface area of a sphere refers to the total area of the outer surface, while the volume of a sphere refers to the amount of space inside the sphere.

Can the formula for sphere surface area be used for any size of sphere?

Yes, the formula for sphere surface area can be used for any size of sphere as long as the radius is known.

Why is the formula for sphere surface area important in science?

The formula for sphere surface area is important in science because it is used to calculate the surface area of objects such as planets, cells, and other spherical structures. This information is crucial for understanding the properties and behavior of these objects.

Can the formula for sphere surface area be derived from other geometric formulas?

Yes, the formula for sphere surface area can be derived from other geometric formulas, such as the formula for the circumference of a circle. By using calculus, the surface area of a sphere can also be derived from its volume.