Formula for T with respect to Linear Transformations

In summary: Mark44Yes, that is the correct left side of equation. Don't mean to seam like an idiot but where again am I supposed to find this "go advanced" tab? Just below the "input text box" my choices are "submit reply" and "preview post". Below that is "additional Options", I do not see "go Advanced" - sorry!I have all the little icons right of "fonts and sizes" but none are "go advanced"?Ptricky,In the bottom left of the text box where you type your reply, there's the Submit Reply button and the Preview Post button. Next to the Preview Post button, there's a Go Advanced button. Click on that.The first thing
Ptricky

Homework Statement

Let T:P2 -> P2 be the linear operator by
T(a0 +a1x + a2x = ao + a1 (x - 1) + a2 (x-1)2

Homework Equations

part a ask to find the matrix [T]B - did, see below
part b ask to verify matrix [T]B satisfies every vector for [T]B [X]B = [T(X)]B?

The Attempt at a Solution

Matrix [T]B = 1 -1 1
0 1 2
0 0 1

What is the given formula for T? I do not see this in the book to help solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell what you're trying to say here.

Is the left side in your formula for your transformation T(a0 + a1x + a2x2)?

Tip: Instead of typing in and , use the forum user interface to help you with this. Just below the input text box, there's a button labelled Go Advanced. After you click this button, there are a slew of buttons to help you format your work. The X2 can be used for exponents, and the X2 button can be used for subscripts. The exponents and subscripts can be anything, not just 2.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Ptricky! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(and yes, do try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
Ptricky said:

Write each element as a vector: (a0, a1, a2) …

then what is T of (a0, a1, a2) ? :smile:

Mark44

Yes, that is the correct left side of equation.

Don't mean to seam like an idiot but where again am I supposed to find this "go advanced" tab? Just below the "input text box" my choices are "submit reply" and "preview post". Below that is "additional Options", I do not see "go Advanced" - sorry!

I have all the little icons right of "fonts and sizes" but none are "go advanced"?

Tiny-Tim,

Thanks for the welcome! My tags are up, I see the difference in options from the quick reply options!

I did 'click' the tags for super and sub. The notation shown is what I get and . Any explanation?

Hi Ptricky! :smile:
Ptricky said:
I did 'click' the tags for super and sub. The notation shown is what I get and . Any explanation?

erm :redface:

you have to put something inside the tag! :biggrin:
(eg P2 P2 :wink:)

Tiny-Tim,

figured out the formula input notation! I will retype my question.

Does

T(x) = ao + a1x -a1
;a2 x - 2a2 + a2

if so how do I prove this for every x = a0 + a1x + a2x2 in P2?

Hi Ptricky! :wink:
Ptricky said:
Does

T(x) = ao + a1x -a1
;a2 x - 2a2 + a2

No … try again!

And when you've got it right, put it in the form b0 + b1x + b2x2 :smile:

What is the formula for T with respect to Linear Transformations?

The formula for T with respect to Linear Transformations is T(v) = Av, where A is a transformation matrix and v is a vector. This formula represents the transformation of a vector v under the linear transformation T.

How do you calculate the transformation matrix A for a given transformation?

To calculate the transformation matrix A for a given transformation, you need to determine the image of each basis vector under the transformation. Then, the transformation matrix A is formed by arranging the images of the basis vectors as columns in the same order as the original basis vectors.

What are the properties of a transformation matrix A?

A transformation matrix A has several important properties, including:

• A is a square matrix, with the same number of rows and columns.
  • A is invertible, meaning there exists a matrix A-1 that when multiplied with A results in the identity matrix.
  • A preserves vector addition, meaning T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v).
  • A preserves scalar multiplication, meaning T(cv) = cT(v) for any scalar c.

How do linear transformations affect the shape and orientation of a vector?

Linear transformations can affect the shape and orientation of a vector in several ways. They can stretch or compress the vector, rotate it, reflect it, or shear it. These transformations can be represented by different transformation matrices A. The determinant of A determines the effect on the area of the vector, while the sign of the determinant determines the effect on the orientation of the vector.

Can linear transformations be applied to other mathematical objects besides vectors?

Yes, linear transformations can be applied to other mathematical objects such as matrices, polynomials, and functions. The formula for T with respect to Linear Transformations remains the same, but the transformation matrix A will be specific to the type of object being transformed.