1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for the tensile stress on a spinning ring

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    I'm having a problem finding and equation that will give me the tensile stress acting on a spinning ring, like the rim of a flywheel, that is trying to "pull itself apart". The ring has no spokes or disc, but is just a ring spinning on its axis. I need to know how fast the ring can spin before it separates from the tensile stress acting on the material it is made of.
    I seem to have stepped in over my head.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    Go to the library and look in Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

For a ring:

[tex]\sigma_r = \frac{3+\nu}{8} \rho \omega^2 \left(a^2+b^2-\frac{a^2b^2}{r^2}-r^2\right)[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{\theta} = \frac{3+\nu}{8} \rho \omega^2 \left(a^2+b^2+\frac{a^2b^2}{r^2}-\frac{1+3\nu}{3+\nu}r^2\right)[/tex]

where:
    [tex]a[/tex] = outer radius
    [tex]b[/tex] = inner radius
    [tex]\rho[/tex] = mass density
    [tex]\nu[/tex] = Poisson's ratio
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = angular velocity

The maximum value of [tex]\sigma_r[/tex] happens at [tex]r=\sqrt{ab}[/tex]

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    Well I thank you very much for the quick reply, and the effort! You have saved the day, and advanced the project.
    Cliff

I used to be Cliff, now its "boab: as something got lost in my previous registration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook