Formula Rewriting for Different Units Help

In summary, the conversation discusses how to modify an equation to work with different units, specifically converting an equation for boiling temperature of isopropanol from kelvin and bar to degrees F and psi. The final equation obtained is T = B' / (A' - ln(P)) - C', with A' = ln(10)A + ln(14.5), B' = 1.8*ln(10)B, and C' = 1.8(C + 273.15) + 32.
royblaze

Homework Statement

Hello. I have a small question... How does one correctly "modify" an equation to work in different units?

The equation below gives the boiling temperature of isopropanol as a function of pressure:

T = B / (A - log10P) - C

Where T is in kelvin, P is in bar, and

A= 4.57795
B= 1221.423
C= -87.474

Obtain an equation that gives the boiling temperature in degrees F, as a function of ln(P), with P in psi.

It must be in the form

T = B' / (A' - ln(P)) - C', where A', B', C' are different numerical values from those given above.

Homework Equations

log10x = ln x / ln (10)

ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b)

1 bar = 14.5 psi
1 atm = 1.013 bar = 14.7 psi

Kelvin to degrees F: ((T - 273.15) * 1.8) + 32

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked it out, but when I try a "test" value of 1 atm (14.7 psi, 1.013 bar) the temperature values do not match after conversion!

If overall, the temperature T is in kelvin, then change the RHS into degrees F.

T = ([B / (A - ln(P*14.5 psi/bar)/ln(10)) - C] - 273.15)*1.8 + 32

T = ([B / ((A - ln(P) + ln(14.5))/ln(10)) - C] - 273.15)*1.8 + 32

I now multiply the B/A fraction by ln(10)/ln(10), and factor in the 1.8.

T = ([1.8*ln(10)B / (ln(10)A - ln(P) - ln(14.5)) - 1.8C] - 1.8*273.15) + 32

T = [1.8*ln(10)B / (ln(10)A - ln(P) - ln(14.5)) - 1.8(C + 273.15)] + 32

Now, I define

1.8*ln(10)B = B'

ln(10)A - ln(14.5) = A'

1.8(C + 273.15) + 32 = C'

So now I have

T = B' / (A' - ln(P)) - C'

A' = 7.866970777
B' = 5062.374706
C' = 302.2168 (I accounted for the negative so that it works in the equation written as is)

But when I test a pressure of 1 atm (1.013 bar = 14.7 psi), I get a temperature of 355K. This should correspond to a degrees F of around 180, but I'm getting around 600 when I use my new formula with pressure 14.7 psi.

Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To convert from psi to bar, divide (not multiply) by 14.5

So A' = ln(10)A + ln(14.5)

Thanks! :D Got it.

1. What is formula rewriting for different units?

Formula rewriting for different units is the process of converting a mathematical formula from one unit of measurement to another. This is often done to make calculations easier or to compare data from different sources.

2. Why is formula rewriting for different units important?

Formula rewriting for different units is important because it allows scientists to work with data that may come from different sources or use different units of measurement. This makes it easier to compare and analyze data, and can also help to avoid errors in calculations.

3. How do you rewrite a formula for different units?

To rewrite a formula for different units, you must first identify the units used in the formula and the desired units. Then, you can use conversion factors or dimensional analysis to convert the units. It is important to make sure all units are cancelled out and the final answer has the correct units.

4. Can formula rewriting for different units affect the accuracy of calculations?

Yes, formula rewriting for different units can affect the accuracy of calculations if not done correctly. It is important to use accurate conversion factors and pay attention to significant figures to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with formula rewriting for different units?

Yes, there are many online conversion calculators and unit conversion tables available to assist with formula rewriting for different units. Additionally, many scientific calculators have built-in conversion functions. It is important to double check any conversions to ensure accuracy.