First-order spring/damper system in parallel

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of b and k in a spring and damper system connected to a massless bar, given the displacement and time conditions when an applied force is abruptly released. After rewriting the general differential equation and applying the constraints, the ratio of the constants is found, but further steps are needed to solve for each individual constant. The value of k can be determined by dividing the applied force by the initial displacement, but the solution for b is still unclear.
FissionChips

Homework Statement

A viscous damper, with damping constant b, and a spring, with spring stiffness k, are connected to a massless bar. The bar is displaced by a distance of x = 0.1m when a constant force F = 500N is applied. The applied force F is abruptly released from its displaced position if the displacement of the bar is reduced from its initial value of 0.1m at t = 0 to 0.01m at t = 10m find the values of b and k.

Homework Equations

The general differential equation for a spring and damper in parallel with a constant force is given as

## F=b\frac{dx}{dt}+kx##

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the displacement and time conditions are given when the force has been released, I rewrote the differential equation:

##0=b\frac{dx}{dt}+kx##

##-b\frac{dx}{dt}=kx##

Upon integration and simplification,

##x=e^{(-k/b)t+C}##Applying the constraint ##x=0.1m## when ##t=0##, ##C=ln(0.1)##

Rewriting the displacement equation,

##x=e^{(-k/b)t+ln(0.1)}##

##x=0.1e^{(-k/b)t}##Applying the second constraint ##x=0.01m## when ##t=10##,

##\frac{k}{b}=-\frac{ln(0.1)}{10}##

Alas, this is where I've run out of steam. I have the ratio of the constants, but I can't solve for either one of them. I'm brand new to differential equations and these spring and damper contraptions (at least analytically), so I'm not sure how to proceed (or if my work up to here is even correct). I have a suspicion that k can be found by dividing the force by the initial displacement, but I'm not positive.

Can anyone point out what I'm failing to see?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've thought about this more since posting, and I'm confident that k can be solved by k = F/x since the damper provides no resistance when the velocity is zero. This whole thread can be deleted if a moderator wishes. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth!

What is a first-order spring/damper system in parallel?

A first-order spring/damper system in parallel is a mechanical system that consists of a spring and a damper connected in parallel. The spring provides a restoring force, while the damper dissipates energy. It is commonly used to model and analyze the behavior of real-world systems, such as car suspensions, shock absorbers, and electrical circuits.

How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a first-order spring/damper system in parallel?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of the spring, determines the strength of the restoring force in the system. A higher spring constant results in a stronger restoring force, which leads to a higher frequency and faster response of the system. On the other hand, a lower spring constant leads to a lower frequency and slower response.

What is the role of damping in a first-order spring/damper system in parallel?

Damping is the process of dissipating energy in a system. In a first-order spring/damper system, the damper provides damping, which reduces the amplitude of the oscillations and controls the rate at which the system returns to its equilibrium position. Without damping, the system would continue to oscillate indefinitely.

How do external forces affect the behavior of a first-order spring/damper system in parallel?

External forces, such as applied forces or disturbances, can affect the behavior of a first-order spring/damper system. If the external force is in the same direction as the restoring force of the spring, it will increase the amplitude of the oscillations. If the external force is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the amplitude. In the absence of external forces, the system will return to its equilibrium position.

What are the applications of a first-order spring/damper system in parallel?

A first-order spring/damper system in parallel has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used to model and analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, such as car suspensions and shock absorbers. It is also used in electrical circuits to model the behavior of resistors and capacitors. Additionally, it is used in control systems to design and optimize the response of systems to external inputs.