1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forum software

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1
    I am interested in creating a forum for people at my work. My intent is for it to be used as a clearing house for information during these turbulent times in the auto industry.

I am not sure these questions belong here and I apologize if they do not.

I know that this forum uses vbulletin. It is a commercial software package only available for purchase, correct?

Has the forum always used vbulletin or have others been tried?

It it hosted on a commercial server?

I understand that PF volume is unique but how much bandwidth is typically used? Could it be supported with a residential cable connection?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

vbulletin (www.vbulletin.com) is around $200
    There are a lot of free forum software packages. phpBB is probably the most common just because php is well known and lots of companies host it. Hosted php sites are only around $5-10/month

I'm guessing PF would max out a domestic connection!
    Some companies block incoming http to a domestic connection and you normally have a dynamic IP address so you would have to do some extra work to point a DNS name at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?