Four mechanics problems I can't solve.

• Thread starter Walczyk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation covers various problems related to mechanics of rigid bodies and Lagrangian mechanics. These include finding the period of motion for a rotating assembly of two disks, determining the distance traveled by a billiard ball before slipping stops, finding the differential equation of motion for a simple pendulum with a changing point of support, and calculating the period of oscillations for a system involving a heavy elastic spring. The conversation also mentions the use of Lagrange's method in solving these problems.
Walczyk
I cannot solve these for the life of me. They are from my book, chapters regarding mechanics of rigid bodies, and lagrangian mechanics.. I need help badly, I'm having much trouble.

A small thin disk of radius r and mass m is attached rigidly to the face of a second thin disk of radius R and mass M as shown below. The center of the small disk is located at the edge of the large disk. The large disk is mounted at its center on a frictionless axle. The assembly is rotated through a small angle and released. Find the period of the motion.

A billard ball of radius a is initially spinning about a horizontal axis with angular speed w_0 and with zero forward speed. If the coefficient of slidign friction between the ball and the billiard table is µ_k, find the dsitance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur.

The point of support of a simple pendulum is being elevated at a constant acceperation a, so that the height of the support is 1/2at^2, and its vertical velocity is at. Find the differential equation of motion for small oscillations of the pendulum by Lagrange's method. Show that the period of the pendulum is 2*pi*sqrt(l/(g+a)), where l is the length of the pendulum.

A heavy elastic spring of uniform stiffness and density supports a block of mass m. If m' is the mass of the spring and k its stiffness, show that the period of oscillations is 2*pi*sqrt((m+(m'/3))/k). This problem shows the effect of the mass of the spring on the period of oscillation. (Hilt: To set up the Lagrangian function for the system, assume that the velocity of any part of the spring is proportional to its distance from the point of suspension.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to show us some work that you have done, only then we can help.

1. How do the four mechanics problems differ from each other?

The four mechanics problems likely differ in terms of the physical systems and principles involved, as well as the specific variables and equations needed to solve them.

2. Why are these four problems considered unsolvable?

These problems may be considered unsolvable because they may not have a closed-form analytical solution, or because they involve complex systems that are difficult to model and solve.

3. What are some potential approaches to solving these problems?

Some potential approaches to solving these problems may include numerical methods, approximations, simplifying assumptions, and advanced mathematical techniques such as calculus and differential equations.

4. Are there any real-world applications for these four mechanics problems?

Yes, these problems likely have applications in various fields of engineering and physics, such as designing structures, analyzing motion, and understanding the behavior of physical systems.

5. What skills or knowledge are necessary to attempt solving these problems?

Solving these problems likely requires a strong understanding of mechanics principles and equations, as well as advanced mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities.