Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four Momentum in General Relativity

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1

MrBillyShears

Gold Member

Alright, I'm rather new to General Relativity, and I'm getting confused with four momentum. Back in SR, [itex]p^α=mU^α[/itex], but, this relationship doesn't hold in curved space, does it? Because, now I'm seeing that four momentum is somehow a covector in GR, and [itex]p_0=-E[/itex], so the time component of the contravariant component can't be E, since the 00 component of the metric isn't always -1. So, is four momentum now redefined in GR, and if the SR relationship between four velocity isn't valid, what is the new relationship to U? Is four momentum naturally a covariant thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I am not sure if this is your concern, but you would probably call both ##p^α=mU^α## and ##p_α=mg_{\mu α}U^{\mu}## "the four momentum". If you need to distinguish between the two verbally you would call one "the four momentum vector" and the other "the four momentum covector".

##p_0=-E## would only hold in metrics where the 00 component is -1. In GR that won't always be the case. The 00 component may not be the time-time component. In fact, there may not even be a time-time component. Regardless, the definition above will hold, even if the components don't have such a clear interpretation.

4. Sep 15, 2014 #3
    That's ironic. I'm confused now too. In the introductory book I'm reading on GR, the author defines [itex]p_0=-E[/itex] when discussing trajectories in the Schwarzschild metric, and then he goes to define [itex]p^0=g^{00}p_0=(1-{2M}/r)^{-1}E[/itex]. Why does he do this then? Is this a matter of convention, defining the vector momentum from the covector momentum?

5. Sep 19, 2014 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, I was indeed being a little ambiguous (actually a little wrong). What I was thinking and what I should have said is that ##p_0=\pm p^0=\pm E## only in metrics where the 00 component is ##\pm 1##, and even then only if the 0i components are 0 too.

The vector and covector momentum are always related as ##p_{\mu}=g_{\mu\nu}p^{\nu}##, regardless of the metric. The vector and the covector are in some ways fundamentally different quantities, but nevertheless it is a very strong convention to think of them as the same quantity just with raised or lowered indexes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. Sep 19, 2014 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook