Lorentz momentum: A proton of mass m is accelerated up

You will have two equations and three unknowns. In addition, you have a constraint relating the three unknowns: the invariant mass of the new particle is M. You need to use all of these equations to solve for all three unknowns.
squelch
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A proton of mass "m" is accelerated up to a kinetic energy "K" and then collides with a stationary proton at rest. All that is left after the collision is a new particle of mass "M".
(a) Write out the momentum and energy equations for the collision.
(b) What is the maximum mass M that can be created in this collision?

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure what to use here. I have:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{E^2} = {p^2}{c^2} + {m^2}{c^4}\\
p = \gamma mv
\end{array}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like what I'm supposed to do is use the energy-momentum relationship and the formula for kinetic energy in this way:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{(K - m{c^2})^2} = {p^2}{c^2} + {m^2}{c^4}\\
K - m{c^2} = \sqrt {{p^2}{c^2} + {m^2}{c^4}}
\end{array}[/tex]

From here, do I use [itex]K = \frac{1}{2}m{v^2}[/itex] to put together the [itex]p=mv[/itex] relationship?

edit: I'm supposing that what I'm supposed to do here is solve for [itex]v[/itex] somehow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
squelch said:

Homework Statement

A proton of mass "m" is accelerated up to a kinetic energy "K" and then collides with a stationary proton at rest. All that is left after the collision is a new particle of mass "M".
(a) Write out the momentum and energy equations for the collision.
(b) What is the maximum mass M that can be created in this collision?

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure what to use here. I have:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{E^2} = {p^2}{c^2} + {m^2}{c^4}\\
p = \gamma mv
\end{array}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like what I'm supposed to do is use the energy-momentum relationship and the formula for kinetic energy in this way:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{(K - m{c^2})^2} = {p^2}{c^2} + {m^2}{c^4}\\
K - m{c^2} = \sqrt {{p^2}{c^2} + {m^2}{c^4}}
\end{array}[/tex]

From here, do I use [itex]K = \frac{1}{2}m{v^2}[/itex] to put together the [itex]p=mv[/itex] relationship?

edit: I'm supposing that what I'm supposed to do here is solve for [itex]v[/itex] somehow.
You can't use the Newtonian expressions for the kinetic energy and momentum. You have to use the relativistic expressions.

A word of advice: Write your equations in terms of energies, momenta, and the masses. Your variables should be E's, p's, and m's, like in the first relevant equation you wrote above.

Before the collision, you have the energy and momentum of the first proton and the energy and momentum of the second proton. After the collision, you have the energy and momentum of the new particle. Assign a variable to each of those quantities and then write down the equations for conservation of momentum and energy.

What is Lorentz momentum?

Lorentz momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of a particle in special relativity. It takes into account both the mass and the velocity of the particle.

How is Lorentz momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum only takes into account the mass and velocity of an object in Newtonian mechanics. Lorentz momentum also takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

What is the equation for calculating Lorentz momentum?

The equation for Lorentz momentum is p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is the momentum, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light.

How does Lorentz momentum change as the velocity of a particle approaches the speed of light?

As the velocity of a particle approaches the speed of light, the denominator in the equation for Lorentz momentum becomes smaller and smaller. This means that the momentum approaches infinity, making it impossible for a particle with mass to reach the speed of light.

Why is Lorentz momentum important in particle physics?

Lorentz momentum is important in particle physics because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as those in particle accelerators. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of special relativity and the behavior of particles in extreme conditions.