Troubleshooting Fourier & TI-89 Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses an integration problem involving Fourier-series and the use of a TI-89 calculator. The problem involves a variable n in the sine and cosine expressions, which may cause the calculator to give an incorrect answer. The solution may be to specify the type of n in order to get the correct result.
TSN79
I'm currently working with Fourier-series and have to integrate some expressions, like this one:

[tex]2\int_{0}^{1} (1-x)*sin(n \omega x) dx = 2 \left[- \frac{1}{n \pi}(1-x) cos(n \pi x) - \frac{1}{(n \pi)^2} sin(n \pi x) \right]_{0}^{1} = \frac{2}{n \pi}[/tex]

Trying to evaluate this (with [tex]\omega = \pi[/tex])on the TI-89 does not give this result. And the thing is that if I remove the n from the sine and cosine expressions, then the answer comes out right. Why is this? Should I assume the n is 1 in the sine and cosine functions in the square parentheses?

Computer science news on Phys.org
i don't think I've used one of those calculators before but maybe it doesn't know what n is. (real, complex, integer, a variable like x, y, z, etc etc) i don't think maple always knows either. sometimes it gives the most general answer possible & i have to tell it to give me a positive integer, or it just spits out the same thing i typed in because i wasn't specific enough with what i wanted it to do.

First of all, great job on working with Fourier-series and integrating expressions! It can definitely be a tricky topic, but it seems like you have a good grasp on it.

Regarding your question about the discrepancy in the results between keeping and removing the "n" in the sine and cosine expressions, I would recommend checking your calculator settings. The TI-89 has a setting called "Exact/Approx" which can affect the way it evaluates certain expressions. If this setting is set to "Approx," it may be rounding off the values and causing the discrepancy in your results.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that the "n" in the sine and cosine expressions does not necessarily have to be equal to 1. It can be any integer, and it is typically used to represent the different harmonics in a Fourier-series. So, you should not assume that it is equal to 1 in this case.

If adjusting your calculator settings does not solve the issue, I would recommend double-checking your calculations and possibly seeking assistance from a math tutor or professor. Sometimes, a fresh set of eyes can help catch any errors or misunderstandings.

I hope this helps and good luck with your Fourier-series and integration!

What is Fourier integration and how does it work?

Fourier integration is a mathematical technique used to analyze and transform functions into their frequency components. It works by decomposing a function into a sum of sinusoidal functions, which allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function.

What is the TI-89 calculator and how does it assist with Fourier integration?

The TI-89 calculator is a graphing calculator commonly used in mathematics and science courses. It has built-in functions and programs that can assist with Fourier integration, making the process more efficient and accurate.

Why am I getting an error when trying to perform Fourier integration on my TI-89 calculator?

There could be several reasons for this error. Some common causes include incorrect input syntax, attempting to integrate a non-integrable function, or insufficient memory on the calculator. Double-check your input and try again, or consult the calculator's manual for troubleshooting tips.

How do I interpret the results of a Fourier integration on my TI-89 calculator?

The results of a Fourier integration will typically be a series of coefficients for each frequency component of the function. These coefficients can be used to reconstruct the original function or to analyze its properties, such as its periodicity or amplitude.

What are some common challenges when troubleshooting Fourier & TI-89 integration?

Some common challenges when troubleshooting Fourier & TI-89 integration include understanding the theory behind Fourier integration, becoming familiar with the functions and syntax of the TI-89 calculator, and identifying and correcting any errors in the input or calculation process. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or reference materials.