1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Fourier and TI-89

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1
    I'm currently working with Fourier-series and have to integrate some expressions, like this one:

[tex]2\int_{0}^{1} (1-x)*sin(n \omega x) dx = 2 \left[- \frac{1}{n \pi}(1-x) cos(n \pi x) - \frac{1}{(n \pi)^2} sin(n \pi x) \right]_{0}^{1} = \frac{2}{n \pi}[/tex]

Trying to evaluate this (with [tex]\omega = \pi[/tex])on the TI-89 does not give this result. And the thing is that if I remove the n from the sine and cosine expressions, then the answer comes out right. Why is this? Should I assume the n is 1 in the sine and cosine functions in the square parentheses?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2
    i don't think i've used one of those calculators before but maybe it doesn't know what n is. (real, complex, integer, a variable like x, y, z, etc etc) i don't think maple always knows either. sometimes it gives the most general answer possible & i have to tell it to give me a positive integer, or it just spits out the same thing i typed in because i wasn't specific enough with what i wanted it to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?