Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fourier expansion

1. Oct 31, 2006 #1
    I'm used to use

[tex]\tilde{f} (x) = a_n|e_n>[/tex]

where

[tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi inx / L}[/tex]

and

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{L}<e_n|f>[/tex]

for my Fourier expansions.

How do I expand a function in 3 dimensions, for example

[tex]V(\vec{r}) = \frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}[/tex]

?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is still just one variable in there, no?

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

---I deleted this, it's mostly nonsense and it does't apply to the problem.---

But in my opinion, mathematically, it makes no difference if you have an r or an x in there; just do the fourier expansion btw r_0 and r_1 as you would a fct of x.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. Oct 31, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The basis functions are products whose factors are the 1-D functions in x, y, and z.

6. Oct 31, 2006 #5
    So [tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi in \vec{r} /L} = e^{2 \pi in x /L} e^{2 \pi in y /L} e^{2 \pi in z /L}[/tex] and [tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]?

7. Oct 31, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes for the last product on the right and the r; the Ls could be different for each dimension.

[tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi in x /L_x} e^{2 \pi in y /L_y} e^{2 \pi in z /L_z}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  8. Oct 31, 2006 #7
    So to expand [tex]V(\vec{r})[/tex] I have to rewrite it in terms of x, y ,z or does quasar987 have a point there?

9. Oct 31, 2006 #8

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought you wanted the expansion for any function in 3-D. If the function is only a function of r, then you could do a 1-D expansion in r. There are other orthogonal functions that are often used in 3-D in cylindrical or spherical coordinates.

10. Oct 31, 2006 #9
    Yes, first of all I want to solve this problem but I also want to learn something from it. ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook