1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier expansion

1. Oct 31, 2006 #1
    I'm used to use

[tex]\tilde{f} (x) = a_n|e_n>[/tex]

where

[tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi inx / L}[/tex]

and

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{L}<e_n|f>[/tex]

for my Fourier expansions.

How do I expand a function in 3 dimensions, for example

[tex]V(\vec{r}) = \frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}[/tex]

?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is still just one variable in there, no?

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

---I deleted this, it's mostly nonsense and it does't apply to the problem.---

But in my opinion, mathematically, it makes no difference if you have an r or an x in there; just do the fourier expansion btw r_0 and r_1 as you would a fct of x.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. Oct 31, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The basis functions are products whose factors are the 1-D functions in x, y, and z.

6. Oct 31, 2006 #5
    So [tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi in \vec{r} /L} = e^{2 \pi in x /L} e^{2 \pi in y /L} e^{2 \pi in z /L}[/tex] and [tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]?

7. Oct 31, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes for the last product on the right and the r; the Ls could be different for each dimension.

[tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi in x /L_x} e^{2 \pi in y /L_y} e^{2 \pi in z /L_z}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  8. Oct 31, 2006 #7
    So to expand [tex]V(\vec{r})[/tex] I have to rewrite it in terms of x, y ,z or does quasar987 have a point there?

9. Oct 31, 2006 #8

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought you wanted the expansion for any function in 3-D. If the function is only a function of r, then you could do a 1-D expansion in r. There are other orthogonal functions that are often used in 3-D in cylindrical or spherical coordinates.

10. Oct 31, 2006 #9
    Yes, first of all I want to solve this problem but I also want to learn something from it. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?