Fourier series equation derivation

In summary: L####\int_0^L e^{ax} \, dx####\frac 1 a \left[e^{ax}\right]_0^L####\frac 1 a \left(e^{aL}-e^{a0}\right)####\frac 1 a \left(e^{aL}-1\right)####\frac 1 {\frac {i2 \pi(n-m)} L} \left(e^{\frac {i2 \pi(n-m)L} L}-1\right)####\frac {L} {i2 \pi(n-m)} \left(e^{i2 \pi
merlyn
Hi all. Could someone work out for me how equation 21 in attachment left side becomes right side. Please show in detail if you could.
It's for exponential Fourier series.

Drforbin

Screenshot_2019-03-06_02-42-49.png

thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-06_02-42-49.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-06_02-42-49.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
merlyn said:
Hi all. Could someone work out for me how equation 21 in attachment left side becomes right side. Please show in detail if you could.
It's for exponential Fourier series.
This is not how we work here. We will gladly help you find the solution, but we won't do you work for you.

So, starting from the left-hand side, how far can you go?

Look, it's not my work. I'm 48 years old and teaching myself Fourier Transforms.
Don't make it any more difficult than it already is.
If you could show me the derivation I would appreciate it.
But in answer to your question, I've tried converting it to Eulers form than applying trig identities with no luck.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Likes sophiecentaur and Baluncore
I don't see a "trick" of any kind ; it is just matter of solving the integral.

Do you know how to integrate an exponential function?

@merlyn Have you tried any other sources? It's been a long time but is your problem with collapsing the product of two exponentials into one (with n-m in it) or doing the (trivial?) definite integral (∫eax dx) after that? Or is it the 1/(n-m) term on the RHS, when n=m?
The argument goes onto the next page of your book. What happens there?

Likes DrClaude
sophiecentaur said:
@merlyn Have you tried any other sources? It's been a long time but is your problem with collapsing the product of two exponentials into one (with n-m in it) or doing the (trivial?) definite integral (∫eax dx) after that? Or is it the 1/(n-m) term on the RHS, when n=m?
The argument goes onto the next page of your book. What happens there?

Thank you so much in advance for your time.

It's mainly collapsing the the two 'e' into one. The definite integral I think I can handle.
If you could show me a worked out example I would REALLY appreciate it.
I'm sure I am just missing a step here. It's probably my stupid brain.
Sorry for all the trouble.

By the way, where do you get the 1/(n-m) from?

You asked what is continued on next page, please see attached.
Screenshot_2019-03-07_04-10-28.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-07_04-10-28.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-07_04-10-28.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
merlyn said:
It's mainly collapsing the the two 'e' into one.
General rule for multiplying exponentials: ##e^a e^b = e^{a+b}##.

jtbell said:
General rule for multiplying exponentials: ##e^a e^b = e^{a+b}##.

Right..But that really does not help in this case.
All you get is ##e^(i2pinx-i2pimx)/l##
right?
and

##e^(i2pix(n-m))/l##

OK, so now you have the integral $$\int_0^L e^{i 2\pi (n-m) x/L} \, dx$$ Do you know how to integrate exponentials? The exponential looks messy, but it's just a big messy constant times x. Simplify it for a moment by collapsing the big messy constant into a new one, ##a = i 2\pi (n-m) /L##. Can you do this one? $$\int_0^L e^{ax} \, dx$$

jtbell said:
OK, so now you have the integral $$\int_0^L e^{i 2\pi (n-m) x/L} \, dx$$ Do you know how to integrate exponentials? The exponential looks messy, but it's just a big messy constant times x. Simplify it for a moment by collapsing the big messy constant into a new one, ##a = i 2\pi (n-m) /L##. Can you do this one? $$\int_0^L e^{ax} \, dx$$

I'll look up my integral tables tonight and see.
Thank you so far.

merlyn said:

This made me dig in my closet to see if I still have my old book of math tables. Printed in 1986.
9703C1B8-F8FD-4304-8B3D-6E1322CB8BAA.jpeg

Attachments

• 9703C1B8-F8FD-4304-8B3D-6E1322CB8BAA.jpeg
    9703C1B8-F8FD-4304-8B3D-6E1322CB8BAA.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 436
Likes DrClaude and anorlunda
Ah, sweet memories of the CRC tables and slide rules.

But for those of us who didn't keep their old CRC copy, there are tools like wolframalpha.com where we can just type in "integrate e^(i*a*t) dt from 0 to L" and get an answer.

And there are several web sites with tables of integrals similar to the ones in the CRC book, including one on Wikipedia. Just Google for "table of integrals".

merlyn said:
Right..But that really does not help in this case.
All you get is ##e^(i2pinx-i2pimx)/l##
right?
and

##e^(i2pix(n-m))/l##
Your presentation is very confusing. There is a button ∑ on the menu bar that gives you a whole selection of symbols - including π :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
Your presentation is very confusing. There is a button ∑ on the menu bar that gives you a whole selection of symbols - including π :smile:

Sorry...I will retype later tonight.
Didn't see menu bar.

sophiecentaur said:

##e^(i2π(n-m)x)/L##

better?

Likes sophiecentaur
Enclose the whole exponent in curly braces.

e^{(i2π(n-m)x)/L} produces ##e^{(i2π(n-m)x)/L}##.

I think it looks better without one pair of parentheses. Also, in LaTeX, you can use \pi instead of the forum's π.

e^{i2 \pi (n-m)x/L} produces ##e^{i2 \pi (n-m)x/L}##.

For more information, see our LaTeX primer.

jtbell said:
This made me dig in my closet to see if I still have my old book of math tables. Printed in 1986.
This is off topic, but I use the exact same edition.

merlyn said:
Thank you so far.
I can sympathise that you are out of touch with Calculus. If you really feel you need to get to grips with Fourier then it will be a long hard slog, I think. I can't recommend any particular learning resource but you will need more than just a list of integrals. The way many people look on Fourier is over simplified and they often come to wrong conclusions about what it really involves.

sophiecentaur said:
I can sympathise that you are out of touch with Calculus. If you really feel you need to get to grips with Fourier then it will be a long hard slog, I think. I can't recommend any particular learning resource but you will need more than just a list of integrals. The way many people look on Fourier is over simplified and they often come to wrong conclusions about what it really involves.
Ok.

Here is worked out example.

##\int_0^L e^{i2 \pi nx/L}e^{-i2 \pi mx/L} \, dx \rightarrow \int_0^L e^{\frac {i2 \pi nx + -i2 \pi mx} L} \, dx \rightarrow\int_0^L e^{\frac {i2 \pi(n-m)x} L } \, dx##

##a= \frac {i2 \pi(n-m)} L##

##\int e^{ax} \, dx = \frac 1 a e^{ax} \rightarrow##

##\int \frac 1 { \frac {i2 \pi(n-m)} L } e^{\frac {i2 \pi(n-m)} L x} \, dx = \frac L{i2 \pi(n-m)} e^{\frac {i2 \pi(n-m)} Lx} ##

Thank you all!

What is a Fourier series equation?

A Fourier series equation is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to describe the behavior of a periodic signal in terms of its fundamental frequency and its harmonics.

What is the derivation process for a Fourier series equation?

The derivation process for a Fourier series equation involves finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms by using the orthogonality properties of these functions. This is done by integrating the given periodic function over one period and using trigonometric identities to simplify the resulting equations.

Why is the Fourier series equation important?

The Fourier series equation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of periodic signals, which are common in many areas of science and engineering. It also has practical applications in signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis.

What are some common applications of the Fourier series equation?

The Fourier series equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, mathematics, and signal processing. Some common applications include analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, predicting the behavior of vibrating systems, and compressing digital images and audio.

Are there any limitations to the Fourier series equation?

Yes, the Fourier series equation has some limitations. It can only be applied to periodic functions, and the function must be well-behaved (continuous and piecewise smooth). It also requires an infinite number of terms to accurately represent a function, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, the Fourier series may not converge for certain types of functions, such as discontinuous or non-repeating functions.