Fourier series / Kpler's equation

In summary: What happened to it?In summary, the incorrect information that was provided by the poster led to an incorrect answer to a problem involving Kepler's equation.
suckstobeyou
GIVE ME A HINT! Fourier series / Kepler's equation

By expanding [tex]e \sin\psi[/tex] in a Fourier series in [tex]\omega t[/tex], show that Kepler's equation has the formal solution
[tex]\psi = \omega t + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{2}{n}J_{n}(ne)\sin{\omega t}}[/tex]
where [tex]J_{n}[/tex] is the Bessel function of order n. For small argument, the Bessel function can be approximated in a power series of the argument. Accordingly, from this result derive the first few terms in the expansion of [tex]\psi[/tex] in powers of [tex]e[/tex].
:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whats the matter?

is this question too confusing or something, if you don't understand a part of it please let me know.:uhh:

Kepler's equation

Here's the Kepler's equation for those of you who don't know it:

[tex]\omega t = \psi - e \sin \psi[/tex]

and Fourier series I think should be in the following form:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}e\sin \psi[/tex]

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GIVE ME THE ANSWER JUST ANYTHING THAT'S ON YOUR MIND WOULD BE HELPFUL. EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CLUE COULD HELP ME GREATLY.

THANKS...

Last edited:
suckstobeyou said:
is this question too confusing or something, (snip)

Where to begin?

* You didn't provide any background info in the opening post. Most of us who browse the Homework Help section are goofing off at work, and we don't have our old textbooks on orbital mechanics laying around.

* After doing some digging, I've discovered that the information that you did provide is wrong.

This:

[tex]\psi = \omega t + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{2}{n}J_{n}(ne)\sin(\omega t)[/tex]

should have been this:

[tex]\psi = \omega t + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{2}{n}J_{n}(ne)\sin(n\omega t)[/tex]

* You didn't show any work, which is required by the Physics Forums Guidelines, which you agreed to follow. This process works by show-and-tell. You show you work, we tell you where you went wrong.

See the notice at the top of this Forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94380 It's there to be read, as are the Guidelines you agreed to.

Now on to your question.

Here's the Kepler's equation for those of you who don't know it:

[tex]\omega t = \psi - e \sin \psi[/tex]

OK, that helps things along.

and Fourier series I think should be in the following form:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}e\sin \psi[/tex]

You are just randomly guessing. No Fourier series looks like that.

You could try looking into Fourier-Bessel series, as it looks like you are supposed to expand [itex]e\sin(\omega t)[/itex] in the Bessel function basis. But you can't expect any help here without showing us something.

ok fair enough. I'm new to Fourier-Bessel series but I'll try my best...
[tex]f(x) = e\sin(\omega t)[/tex]
[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)\cos(nx)\,dx = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e\sin(\omega t) \cos(nx)\,dx[/tex]
[tex]b_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)\sin(nx)\,dx = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e\sin(\omega t) \sin(nx)\,dx[/tex]
[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}[a_n \cos(nx) + b_n \sin(nx)][/tex]
so that's the Fourier series. Should I solve for [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_n[/itex] and then substitude them in the series? Or am I completely doing this the wrong way?
I also don't understand how you changed [itex]e\sin(\psi)[/itex] to [itex]e\sin(\omega t)[/itex]
Tom Mattson said:
You could try looking into Fourier-Bessel series, as it looks like you are supposed to expand [itex]e\sin(\omega t)[/itex] in the Bessel function basis.

Last edited:
here's the exapnasion

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e\sin(\omega t)dt + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}[e\sin(\omega t)\cos(nt)dt]\cos(nt) + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}[e\sin(\omega t)\sin(nt)dt]\sin(nt)[/tex]

please help I haven't heard back from anybody since my last post! I'm doing as much as I can...

your incapacity to help out or solve this straight forward problem either classifies you as a bunch of psychopaths or outright retards:yuck:

is anybody even looking at this post? what am I doing wrong?

This thread is two years old?

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sine and cosine functions. It can be used to approximate any periodic function with a finite number of terms.

What is the significance of Fourier series?

Fourier series are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they allow us to analyze and understand complex periodic phenomena. They are also used in signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations.

What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series represents a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions, while a Fourier transform represents a non-periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies. Fourier transforms are used to analyze and process non-periodic signals.

What is Kepler's equation?

Kepler's equation is a mathematical relationship between the orbital period and the distance between two objects in a two-body system, such as a planet and a star. It is used to calculate the position of a planet in its orbit at a given time.

How is Kepler's equation related to Fourier series?

Kepler's equation can be solved using a Fourier series, as it involves finding the solution to a system of periodic equations. Fourier series can also be used to analyze the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in a system.