Fourier Series Time Multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier Transfer of t^(n-1)e^(-\alpha*t)u_h and using the general Time multiplication property to simplify the problem. The speaker is stuck at a certain step and shares their answer to the problem. To solve it, the speaker suggests using the definition of the Fourier Transform and applying the integration by parts technique. This technique will help isolate the t^(n-1) term and combine it with the 1/(\alpha+j\omega) factor.
er0ck
I am stuck at one point in this problem (which is the main step):

The original problem is to find the Fourier Transfer of t^(n-1)e^(-[tex]\alpha[/tex]*t)u_h

and I know that e^(-[tex]\alpha[/tex]t)u_h(t) = 1/([tex]\alpha[/tex]+j[tex]\omega[/tex])

I plug that into the general Time multiplication property and I get:

d^(n-1)/d[tex]\omega[/tex]^(n-1)*[1/([tex]\alpha[/tex]+j[tex]\omega[/tex])]
This is where I'm stuck.

I have the answer is equal to (n-1)!/([tex]\alpha[/tex]+j[tex]\omega[/tex]^2)^n
I apologize for the bad formating, this is my first time using physics forum. =/ Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this, you will need to use the definition of the Fourier Transform. Specifically, you will need to apply the integration by parts technique to the integral: \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t^{n-1}e^{-\alpha t}u_h(t) e^{-j\omega t} dtThe integration by parts technique will help isolate the t^(n-1) term in the integrand, which can then be combined with the 1/(\alpha + j\omega) factor. The details of this technique can be found in any textbook on Fourier Analysis.

FAQ: Fourier Series Time Multiplication

What is Fourier Series Time Multiplication?

Fourier Series Time Multiplication is a mathematical technique used to analyze and represent periodic functions by decomposing them into a weighted sum of simple sine and cosine functions. It is often used in signal processing and data analysis.

What is the purpose of using Fourier Series Time Multiplication?

The purpose of using Fourier Series Time Multiplication is to break down complex periodic functions into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate the data. It can also help to identify patterns and regularities in the data.

How is Fourier Series Time Multiplication calculated?

Fourier Series Time Multiplication is calculated using integral calculus, specifically the Fourier series formula, which uses coefficients to represent the amplitude and phase of each sine and cosine function in the decomposition.

What are the applications of Fourier Series Time Multiplication?

Fourier Series Time Multiplication has a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, mathematics, and data analysis. It is commonly used in signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations.

What are the limitations of Fourier Series Time Multiplication?

Although Fourier Series Time Multiplication is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are periodic, and it may not always converge for all functions. Additionally, it may be challenging to interpret the results when dealing with complex data sets.