Finding Fourier Series for u(x): Challenges with Integration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier series for a function u(x), which is given by u(x)=\sin((1+3\cos(t))t). Since the function is odd, the Fourier coefficients a_n equal zero and the b_ns are given by b_n=\frac{4}{T}\int_0^{T/2}u(t)\sin(n\omega t)\,\text{d}t, where T=2\pi and \omega=2\pi/T=1. However, the integrand u(x)*sin(n*t) is not easily integrated, leading to a discussion on possible ways to work around this issue. It is suggested to write u(x) as the real or imaginary
sigmund
I have tried to find the Fourier series for a function [itex]u(x)[/itex]:

[tex]
u(x)=\sin((1+3\cos(t))t)
[/tex]

The function is odd, hence the Fourier coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex] equal zero and the [itex]b_n[/itex]s are given as

[tex]
b_n=\frac{4}{T}\int_0^{T/2}u(t)\sin(n\omega t)\,\text{d}t
[/tex]

where [itex]T=2\pi[/itex] and [itex]\omega=2\pi/T=1[/itex].

Then, my problem is that u(x)*sin(n*t) is not easily integrated. I would then like to ask if there could be any way getting around this integration-problem, perhaps if I wrote u(x) as either the real og imaginary part of a complex function? I would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it is sort of close to a Bessel integral. But not really. It doesn't look promising at all. Neither Maple or Mathematica will do it, but that doesn't mean anything. I've had precisely one hour of sleep in the last day and a half, so I may be missing something~

Last edited:
So your function is

[tex] u(x)= \sin \left[\left(1+3\cos t\right)t\right] [/tex]...Hmm.

U could you leave it like that,namely the coeff. "b_{n}",because you can't evaluate that integral.

Daniel.

FAQ: Finding Fourier Series for u(x): Challenges with Integration

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is commonly used in many areas of science and engineering to analyze and model periodic phenomena.

2. Why is finding a Fourier series for u(x) a challenging task?

Finding a Fourier series for u(x) can be challenging because it involves integrating the function over its entire period, which can be a complex and time-consuming process. It also requires a thorough understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.

3. What are some common challenges with integration when finding a Fourier series for u(x)?

Some common challenges with integration when finding a Fourier series for u(x) include dealing with discontinuities, determining the correct limits of integration, and handling complex or difficult-to-integrate functions.

4. What is the importance of finding a Fourier series for u(x)?

Finding a Fourier series for u(x) allows us to accurately represent and analyze complex periodic functions. It also has practical applications in fields such as signal processing, electrical engineering, and physics.

5. Are there any techniques or strategies to make finding a Fourier series for u(x) easier?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can make finding a Fourier series for u(x) easier. These include using symmetry properties, utilizing trigonometric identities, and breaking the function into simpler components to integrate separately.