Fourier sine and cosine tranformation, difficult problem, (for me)

In summary, the Fourier cosine and sine transformations of exp(5t) are given by Fc(ω) = (√(2/∏))∫exp(5t)cos(ωt)dt, and Fc(ω) = (√(2/∏)) x (5 / (5squared PLUS ωsquared))

Are there enough worked solutions to Fourier Transformation problems?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
difficult

Homework Statement

What are the Fourier sine and cosine transformations of exp(5t)?

Homework Equations

Fc (ω) = (√(2/∏))∫exp(5t)cos(ωt)dt , (between boundaries of infinity and zero)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try to integrate by parts I just end up going round in circles.
Or, if I first convert cos(ωt) into 0.5(exp(iωt) + exp(-iωt)) and then multiply this with exp(5t),
calculating the boundary values then becomes difficult

Physics news on Phys.org
Were you really given e+5t and not e-5t?

vela said:
Were you really given e+5t and not e-5t?

Oops sorry! I forgot to mention that negative, but I still can't do the problem.

Either method you described will work. Can you show us what you've gotten so far?

Well for the Fourier cosine transformation I end up with
(1/√2∏) ( (exp((iω - 5)t)/(iω - 5)) + (exp((-iω - 5)t) / (-iω - 5)) ) evaluated over the range from 0 to ∞, but what do

exp((iω - 5)t) and exp((-iω - 5)t) equal at t = ∞? .

Similarly for the Fourier sine transformation.

If there are plenty worked solutions to Fourier sine and cosine transformation problems, where are they?
Please I am referring to worked solutions to problems finding the Fourier sine and cosine transformations of a difficult expression, not of some stupidly simple number like 1.

Apparently the ultimate solution is

Fc(ω) = (√(2/∏))(5/5squaredωsquared)

but how?

For the Fourier cosine transformation (and similarly for the sine) I got this far by firstly converting cos(ωt) into 0.5(exp(iωt) + exp(-iωt)) and then multiplying by exp(-5t),

Last edited:
Is there an altogether better approach to this problem?

I only know the simple answer to the problem I asked about, but not how to produce it, which is the real issue.
If you are not going to help me out with this particular problem, which I can assure you is becoming a serious distraction from the rest of the subject, could you please describe the best general approach to Fourier sine and cosine transformations? The only worked solutions I can find are pretty unhelpful, as they are just for the Fourier sine and cosine transformations of the number 1, which largely translates into finding the integral of sin(ωt) or cos(ωt).

Should I use frequency shifting?
The Fourier transform of f(t)cos(ωsub0t) being equal to 0.5(F(ω-ωsub0) + F(ω+ωsub0))
and the Fourier transform of exp(-5t) being 1 / (5 + iω)

is the Fourier Transformation of exp(-5t)cos(ωsub0t) equal to 1 / (5 + iωsub0)?
In that case the simple, final answer provided would be wrong.

difficult said:
Well for the Fourier cosine transformation I end up with
(1/√2∏) ( (exp((iω - 5)t)/(iω - 5)) + (exp((-iω - 5)t) / (-iω - 5)) ) evaluated over the range from 0 to ∞, but what do

exp((iω - 5)t) and exp((-iω - 5)t) equal at t = ∞? .
Take, for example, your first term. The factor of eiωt has a magnitude of 1, regardless of what t equals, so
$$\left|\frac{e^{(i\omega-5)t}}{i\omega-5}\right| = \left|\frac{e^{i\omega t}}{i\omega-5}\right| e^{-5t} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\omega^2+5^2}}e^{-5t}.$$ When t goes to infinity, that quantity goes to 0, which means ##\frac{e^{(i\omega-5)t}}{i\omega-5}## goes to 0.

Thanks.
If |exp(iωt)| = 1 and |exp(-iωt)| = 1 for all t, how do sin(ωt) and cos(ωt) vary with t, when they are functions of exp(iωt) and exp(-iωt)?

Because |exp(iωt)| and exp(iωt) aren't the same thing. Sine and cosine aren't functions of |exp(iωt)|.

Thanks again. Going off on a tangent for a moment, do exp(iωt) and exp(-iωt) each form a circle of unit radius on an argand diagram?

When I substituted the number 1 for |exp(iωt)| and again the number 1 for |exp(-iωt)|, I
ended up with Fc(ω) =(√(2/∏)) x (5 / (5squared PLUS ωsquared))

Apparently it should actually be Fc(ω) =(√(2/∏)) x (5 / (5squared TIMES ωsquared))

difficult said:
Thanks again. Going off on a tangent for a moment, do exp(iωt) and exp(-iωt) each form a circle of unit radius on an argand diagram?
Yes.

When I substituted the number 1 for |exp(iωt)| and again the number 1 for |exp(-iωt)|, I ended up with Fc(ω) =(√(2/∏)) x (5 / (5squared PLUS ωsquared))

Apparently it should actually be Fc(ω) =(√(2/∏)) x (5 / (5squared TIMES ωsquared))
The plus sign is correct. Another way you can look at the integral
$$\int_0^\infty e^{-5t}\cos\omega t\,dt = \left.\int_0^\infty e^{-st}\cos\omega t\,dt\right|_{s=5}$$ is as the Laplace transform of cos ωt evaluated when s=5. If you look up the Laplace transform for cosine in a table, you'll see there's supposed to be a plus there.

Thanks.

Does |exp(-iωt)| = 1 aswell?

What does Euler's formula tell you?

How should I manipulate Euler's formula ?

Incorporated this post in the next one...

Last edited:
More precisely, is it because

√ ((cosine squared x) + (sine squared x)) = 1?

Or is that not why |exp(-iωt)| = 1, if indeed it equals 1 at all?

What is a Fourier sine and cosine transformation?

A Fourier sine and cosine transformation is a mathematical technique used to decompose a function into a sum of trigonometric functions, specifically sine and cosine. This transformation is commonly used in signal processing and image analysis.

Why is the Fourier sine and cosine transformation considered a difficult problem?

The Fourier sine and cosine transformation can be difficult because it requires a deep understanding of trigonometry and complex numbers. It also involves complex integration techniques and can be time-consuming to calculate by hand.

What applications use Fourier sine and cosine transformation?

The Fourier sine and cosine transformation has a wide range of applications in fields such as signal processing, image analysis, physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in analyzing periodic signals and functions.

How do I solve a difficult problem using Fourier sine and cosine transformation?

To solve a difficult problem using Fourier sine and cosine transformation, you first need to understand the problem and the underlying concepts. Then, you can use the transformation to decompose the function and analyze its components. It may also be helpful to use software such as MATLAB or WolframAlpha to perform the calculations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Fourier sine and cosine transformation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Fourier sine and cosine transformation include using the wrong transformation, not paying attention to the domain of the function, and making errors in the integration process. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.