1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform, complex exponential and infinity

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    I'm taking the fourier transform of a signal. This integral has bounds from -∞ to ∞, but since the signal is 0 for negative t, the bounds become 0 to ∞

doing the integration, the antiderivative I get is et*(-3-jω+2j) where j is sqrt(-1)

Now I have to evaluate this at t=infinity (since it is a proper integral)....I don't really know how to do this since (-3-jω+2j) is a complex number.

infinity times a negative number is negative infinity
    infinity times a positive number is positive infinity
    infinity times a complex number?????

any help will be appreciated,

thank you very much

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2
    Looks like you have:

[tex]e^{-3t+it(2-w)}\biggr|_0^{\infty}[/tex]

where I'm using i cus' I'm not an engineer but same dif. Now assume w is a real number, then we could write:

[tex]e^{-3t}e^{it(2-w)}=e^{-3t}\left(\cos(t(2-w))+i\sin(t(2-w)\right)\biggr|_0^{\infty}[/tex]

so that because of the [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex] real part, at the upper limit, that is zero and at the lower limit it's one.

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3
    thank you! got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook