1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of 1/t

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Fourier Transform of [tex] \frac {1}{t} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Euler's equations I think...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried splitting up the integral into two. One from [tex] -\inf [/tex] to 0 and the other from 0 to [tex] \inf [/tex]. Not much help there. I tried using [tex] e^{ix} = cos(x) + isin(x) [/tex]. Im pretty sure that is the way to go, but I cant seem to make it work. I think the answer is plus or minus i (from google searches), but I cant make the steps to get there. Could someone give me some tips, or out line the steps? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would help to know that the integral from 0 to infinity of sinx/x is pi/2 !

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    Thank you, that does help. My teach. said dont use a table though... But this is better than nothing.

What is the integral from 0 to inf for cosx/x ?

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

cos(x) = sin(x+pi/2)

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral of cos(x)/x from 0 to infinity just plain does not exist. As far as I know you can't do things like the fourier transform of 1/t by changing them into real integrals. You have to express them as contour integrals in the complex plane and pick a convergent contour or pull a residue theorem argument. Or do you know some trick I don't??

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, I suppose you'Re right!

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7
    bah, thats not what I want to hear!

We did some complex integration with poles in a different class. I didnt get it at all. I dont think that is required for this class. Im gonna stick with the sinx/x = pi/2 unless somebody has a better idea.

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you've looked up the results then you should know that the integral of (1/t)*exp(i*t*x) depends on a discrete function of the value of x. That's a pretty sure sign that a contour choice is involved. Neglect this at your own risk.

10. Sep 27, 2009 #9
    Hello. I am new to fourier transforms. Also I have not studied contour integration. In entry 309 in the table on wikipedia the answer to the fourier transform of 1/t = − i*pi*sgn(w).

The answer I get is i*pi*sgn(t). I'm not sure where the (-) comes from. I get, skipping a few steps: the integral with limits from -inf to inf of isin(wt)/t dt.

From my notes the integral from -inf to inf of sin(wt)/t would be = pi*sgn(w). I would assume when an imaginary number is in there you just treat it as a constant?

What am I missing here? Is my assumption wrong?

Thanks.

11. Nov 25, 2010 #10
    Hey,
    Using Euler's formula, I'v found the FT of 1/(Pi*t) as -j. integration of cos(x)/x from -inf to inf is zero, as odd function. And using integration of sin(x)/x from -inf to inf = Pi. Using these two we easily can get FT of 1/(Pi.t) is equal to -j.
    Using a known FT of rectangular(t/Tau) and X(0) or x(0) formulas of FT and IFT we can get the integration of sin(x)/x.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  12. Sep 8, 2011 #11
    fourier sine transform of 1/sqrt x

can u plz help me out with fourier sine transform of 1/ sqrt x

13. Sep 8, 2011 #12
    i need the solution asap...

14. Sep 8, 2011 #13
    are u here?????quasar987

15. Nov 14, 2012 #14
    ok, 1/t is like 1/w, if you times the numerator and denominator by j its like the Duality property (j* 1/(jt) ), so its like j2*pi*x(-w) = 2j*pi(-0.5+u(-w))
    as you can see from the 1/jw transformation on the table.

16. Nov 14, 2012 #15

Zondrina

Homework Helper

This thread is like 4 years old. Why did you grave dig it?

17. Nov 14, 2012 #16
    Because I wanted to know the answer and I didn't think it had been adoquately addressed, because It hadn't, so I solved it for the next person to find it on google.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?