Fourier transform of laplace operator

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation involving the Dirac delta distribution and the application of Fourier transforms. The meaning of \Delta^{2} is explained as the biharmonic operator. The conversation also mentions solving the equation using Laplace squared and the interpretation of Laplace squared.
LuisVela
Hello Everybody.
I gave a quick look onto the internet but i couldn't get anything interesting.
Heres my problem.

Im solving the differential equation given by:

[tex](-\Delta+k^2)^2u=\delta [/tex]

Where [tex]\delta[/tex] is the dirac delta distribuiton (and u is thought as a distribution as well)

The first step in the book is to apply FT to both sides of the equation...

The result is:

[tex](4\pi^2\xi^2+k^2)^2\hat{u}=1[/tex]

...I do know that the FT of the Laplacian is [tex]-4\pi^2\xi^2[/tex], but when the whole parenthesis is squared, i just can follow it. I don't know how to get that result...

BTW..whats the meaning of [tex]\Delta^2[/tex]?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Represent u(x) as a Fourier transform of \hat{u}(xi). Also, write the Dirac delta as a Fourier transform integral. Then let the operator parenthesis act inside the integral sign.

I think i solved it.
Fourier acting on laplace squared being equal to the square of F on Laplace is actually easy to prove...
The only thing remaining to understand is the 'meaning' of laplace squared.
Laplace acting on a function is an operation from R3-->R1, so you can't apply Laplace over again to the result...
Is that how we interpret Laplace squared?...or maybe more like the biharmonic operator.??

The meaning of [itex]\Delta^{2} \, \varphi[/itex] is:

[tex]
\Delta(\Delta \, \varphi) =
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2}}\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
+ \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2}}\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
+ \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2}}\right) =
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{4}} + \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{4}} + \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{4}} + 2 \, \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2} \, \partial y^{2}} + 2 \, \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2} \, \partial z^{2}} + 2 \, \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2} \, \partial x^{2}}
[/tex]

So it is the biharmonic operator indeed !
Thanks a loot

1. What is the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator?

The Fourier transform of the Laplace operator is a mathematical operation that transforms a function in the time or space domain into a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze signals and systems.

2. How is the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator calculated?

The Fourier transform of the Laplace operator is calculated using the formula F[f(t)] = ∫f(t)e^(-itω)dt, where f(t) is the function in the time domain and ω is the frequency variable.

3. What are the applications of the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator?

The Fourier transform of the Laplace operator has many applications in different fields, including signal processing, image processing, and differential equations. It is used to analyze and represent signals and systems in the frequency domain, making it easier to understand and manipulate them.

4. Is there a relationship between the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator and the Laplace transform?

Yes, there is a relationship between the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator and the Laplace transform. The Laplace transform is a special case of the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator, where the frequency variable ω is equal to zero. This means that the Laplace transform is a specific case of the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator for a function that is defined only for positive time values.

5. What are the advantages of using the Fourier transform of the Laplace operator compared to other transforms?

The Fourier transform of the Laplace operator has several advantages compared to other transforms. It is a powerful tool for analyzing signals and systems since it can handle both continuous and discrete functions. It also has a close relationship with the Laplace transform and other mathematical operations, making it useful for solving differential equations and other problems in engineering and physics.