Fourier transform of triangular function

Fourier transform of a triangle function, which is the convolution of two rectangle functions. He is unsure how to identify the rectangle functions related to this specific example. Warren suggests plotting the triangle function and looking at its endpoints, which can help identify the endpoints of the rectangle functions that will be convolved to find the Fourier transform.
tronxo
Im kind of stuck in one of my signals problems. A triangular function defined as: V(t)= (-A/T)t + A when 0< t< T; V(t)= (A/T)t + A when -T< t< 0; otherwise, the function is 0. I have to find the Fourier transform of this function. Could anyone help me??

Engineering news on Phys.org
A triangle function is the convolution of two rectangle functions. You presumably already know what the FT of a rectangle function is, and you know how convolution in the time domain relates to multiplication in the Fourier domain.

- Warren

Last edited:
thank you for ur time, warren, but I am still having problems with it. The problem is, even though i know, as you say before, that a triangle function is the convolution of two rect functions, i don't know how to identify which rect functions are related to this particular example.
thank you again, Alex

Plot the triangle function, and look at its endpoints. Notice that when you convolve two functions with endpoints (a, b) and (c, d), the resulting convolution has endpoints (a+b, c+d).

- Warren

Thanks again
Alex

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a signal from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

2. What is a triangular function?

A triangular function, also known as a triangle wave, is a periodic waveform that rises and falls in a linear fashion. It is defined by three parameters - amplitude, period, and phase - and is often used as a test signal in electronic circuits and signal processing.

3. How is a Fourier transform of a triangular function calculated?

The Fourier transform of a triangular function is calculated by integrating the function with respect to frequency over the entire frequency spectrum. The result is a complex-valued function that represents the amplitude and phase of each frequency component in the original triangular function.

4. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of a triangular function?

The Fourier transform of a triangular function can be used to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. It allows us to determine the frequency content of a signal and perform operations such as filtering, compression, and modulation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Fourier transform of a triangular function?

Yes, the Fourier transform of a triangular function has various applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and communications. It is commonly used in audio and video compression algorithms, as well as in the analysis and synthesis of sound and images.