Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of triangular function

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    Im kind of stuck in one of my signals problems. A triangular function defined as: V(t)= (-A/T)t + A when 0< t< T; V(t)= (A/T)t + A when -T< t< 0; otherwise, the function is 0. I have to find the fourier transform of this function. Could anyone help me??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A triangle function is the convolution of two rectangle functions. You presumably already know what the FT of a rectangle function is, and you know how convolution in the time domain relates to multiplication in the Fourier domain.

- Warren

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  4. Aug 15, 2007 #3
    thank you for ur time, warren, but im still having problems with it. The problem is, even though i know, as you say before, that a triangle function is the convolution of two rect functions, i dont know how to identify which rect functions are related to this particular example.
    thank you again, Alex

5. Aug 15, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plot the triangle function, and look at its endpoints. Notice that when you convolve two functions with endpoints (a, b) and (c, d), the resulting convolution has endpoints (a+b, c+d).

- Warren

6. Aug 15, 2007 #5
    Thanks again
    Alex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?