1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform question (pretty simple, i think)

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    ok, i have a wave packet which is defined between (-pi/(2b)) and (pi/(2b)) as cos(bx), and it's zero everywhere else. here's what i've done so far:

i normalized and solved for b, getting pi/2. so now i'm thinking i should calculate the a0, an, and bn series, and add, right? and here is where i'm stuck. how do i go about doing this? what are the limits of integration? and do i just add the results together to get the final fourier transform? any and all attempts at help is much appreciated. thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

huh? I understand you want to write your wave packet as a Fourier integral, like so,

[tex]F(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}G(\omega)e^{i\omega x}d\omega[/tex]

??

All you need to do is calculate [itex]G(\omega)[/itex] by doing the fourier transform of F:

[tex]G(\omega)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}F(x)e^{-i\omega x}dx=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2b}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2b}}cos(bx)e^{-i\omega x}dx[/tex]

4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    i'm sorry, i guess i should've been more clear. i need to write it in k space.. as in, i need an expression for phi(k) (sorry, can't get LaTeX to display it)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  5. Oct 8, 2006 #4
    soo.. i don't need to normalize and solve for b?

6. Oct 8, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, from the top. This is how it goes... You have a wave packet F(x,t) propagating in the positive x direction at speed v. In the spirit of Fourier series, you're hoping to write your wave packet as a "sum" of progressive waves of carefully chosen amplitudes: [itex]\phi(k)e^{k(x-vt)}[/itex] ([itex]\phi(k)[/itex] represents the amplitude of the wave of wave number k. It is the analogue in Fourier integrals of the coefficients [itex]c_n[/itex] in Fourier series):

[tex]F(x,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\phi(k)e^{ik(x-vt)}dk[/tex]

But what is [itex]\phi(k)[/itex]? You know that at t=0, the wave has the form [itex]F(x,0)=\cos(bx)[/itex] for [itex]-\pi/2b<x<\pi/2b[/itex] and 0 elsewhere. In this case, your wave packet becomes

[tex]F(x,0)=F(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\phi(k)e^{ikx}dk[/tex]

This is a form that is suitable for a Fourier transform. According to Fourier's inversion theorem then,

[tex]\phi(k)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}F(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi(k)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2b}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2b}}cos(bx)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

7. Oct 8, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In post #4, you're talking about normalization, this suggest that F(x,t) is intended as a wave function in the quantum mechanical sense? In that case, yes, b cannot have just about any value. For F to be a wave function satisfying the probabilistic interpretation of QM, [itex]FF^*[/itex] needs to have the properties of a probability density function. One of these is that the "sum" of the probabilities be 1. In this case,

[tex]1=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}FF^*dx[/tex]

[tex]1=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2b}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2b}}cos^2(bx)dx[/tex]

What condition does that set on b?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  8. Oct 8, 2006 #7
    Think I got it :) I got b as [tex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex] and my final equation in k space as [tex]\phi(k) = \frac {\pi}{\frac{\pi^2}{4}+k^2}e^{2ik}[/tex] .

Thanks a lot for the help!

9. Oct 8, 2006 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got b=pi/2, but I could be wrong. Still it's worth double checking your work I think.

10. Oct 8, 2006 #9
    er, you're right. That's what I got too. I was looking at something else. Thanks so much for the help, it's truly appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?