Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FPGA or Microcontroller for Robot Project?

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    Hi I'm currently doing a design project for my engineering class, and we have to select either an FPGA and use VHDL or a microcontroller. The project entails following a line, and using IR communication to change the colors of LEDs.

I know that FPGAs might be better because you can do parallel processing, but microcontrollers (I would be using arduino) would probably be easier.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2
    Well, do you really need parallel processing for your project?
    From the information I can't tell if you do.

Using a arduino instead of an FPGA can save you money in your project budget.

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    Yeah, I agree with MFrielink. Don't use an FPGA unless you have something really algorithmically simple you need to do with incredible speed and low (like nanosecond) latency.

5. Mar 16, 2015 #4
    I can understand that you want parallel processing. It can take quite some time to drive the IR sensor, this can solve in the robot not following the line for a few ms.
    Although I do think a FPGA is a bit of overkill for a robot that only needs to follow a line and drive an IR sensor.
    You could go for the uC and use interrupt to call you code.
    Or just optimize your code.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook