Proof of x^\frac{1}{2}=\sqrt{x} & x^\frac{m}{n}=\sqrt[n]{x^m}

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the notation x^(m/n) = sqrt[n]{x^m} and how it is consistent with the square root's definition. The conversation also touches on the history of how the notation for exponents was developed and how it applies to negative and fractional powers. The concept of using limits in defining exponents for irrational numbers is also mentioned.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I've always just accepted that [tex]x^\frac{1}{2}=\sqrt{x}[/tex] but I don't understand why. I guess I'm looking for a proof for this, and possibly lead this onto:

[tex]x^\frac{m}{n}=\sqrt[n]{x^m}[/tex]

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[x^(m/n)] ^ n = [x ^ (m/n * n)] = [x ^ m] for all n.

root_n(x^m) ^ n = x^m for all n.

Since raising something to a power is single-valued for real numbers, and since raising root_n(x^m) to the power n yields the same thing as raising [x^(m/n)] to the power n, it only makes sense that root_n(x^m) = x^(m/n).

I don't think this counts as a proof, but it should probably help show that the notation is consistent.

I can't believe how I could have missed that. Of course, [tex](x^\frac{1}{2})^2=x[/tex]
And considering the square-root's definition, thus [tex]x^\frac{1}{2}=\sqrt{x}[/tex]

The same idea goes of the n-th root.

Again, I can't believe I missed that.

I was worried that this wouldn't be a sufficient answer to your question. You see, I think this is probably how it worked out...

(1) People started with integer powers as a shorthand for multipling a number n times.
(2) Somebody proved (x^n)^m = x^(nm).
(3) Somebody realized that since sqrt(x)^2 = x = x^1, then sqrt(x) could be thought of as x^(1/2) (whatever that means) because (1/2)*2 = 1.
(4) They then proved that it worked for any rational power, and from that it was probably pretty easy to generalize to irrational numbers.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the history of mathematics can clear this up for me?

I bet that's also how they got negative exponentials.

x^2 * 1/(x^2) = 1 = x^0, so 1/(x^2) = x^(-2) since 2+(-2)=0. etc.

Then again, perhaps the rules for manipulating exponents came later? Good questions.

Yes it is pretty interesting.

If I remember correctly, my teacher told us that while [tex]x^0[/tex] doesn't make sense (multiplying x by itself 0 times), if you use the exponential proofs it works. Also by using limits as [tex]x \rightarrow 0[/tex] from both positive and negative ends, it does limit to 1. Thus [tex]x^0=1[/tex]

This problem probably then came to be after the proof of [tex]x^ax^b=x^{a+b}[/tex] and possibly before the proof of all exponentials to any rational.

"Using limits as [itex]x\rightarrow 0[/itex]"? But x is the base in your formula. Did you mean [itex]\lim_{y\rightarrow 0} x^y[/itex]?

That strikes me as invalid anyway. How do you define x to negative or fractional (or irrational) powers if you haven't already defined x0?

Of course, we don't "prove" that a0= 1, that's a definition. You may be thinking of motivating that definition.

It is easy to show that, for positive integers m and n, and any positive real a, that aman= am+n. Basically, that is just "counting".

In order that that rule still hold for "0", we must have a0an= a0+n= an. Dividing both sides by an (which is why we need a non-zero) we get a0= 1.
Now, if want that rule to hold for negative integers as well, we must have a-nan= a-n+ n= a0= 1. That is, in order for that rule to still hold for negative powers, we must define a-n= 1/an.

We can also prove that, for any positive integers, m and n, and any positive a, that [itex](a^n)^m= a^{mn}[/itex]. If we want that to hold for fractional powers as well, we must have [itex](a^{1/n})^n= a^1= a[/itex]. That is [itex]a^{1/n}[/itex] must be an nth root of a. Those only exist (in the real numbers) if a is positive which is the reason for the "any positive a" restriction above. Also there two real nth roots of a positive number. In order that we can continue to take roots, we define a1/n to be the positive nth root of a. Of course, from \(\displaystyle (a^m)^n= a^{mn}\) it follows that am/n= (a1/n)m= (am)1/n.

Finally, we define ax for irrational x by requiring that ax be a continuous function. If ax is continuous and [itex]\left{r_n\right}[/itex] is a sequence of rational numbers converging to x, we must define
[tex]a^x= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}a^{r_n}[/itex].

Note that none of those are proofs. We don't prove definitions. They are motivations for the particular definitions we use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallsofivy, thanks for your insights. And yes, I meant for the index to be approaching 0.

HallsofIvy said:
That is \(\displaystyle a^{1/n}\) must be an nth root of a. Those only exist (in the real numbers) if a is positive which is the reason for the "any positive a" restriction above.

Was this idea shown/proven only because it could not be proven for negative "a" as there have been contradictions with the complex numbers? Is there more reasoning behind this statement?

What is the meaning of x1/2?

x1/2 is the square root of x, which means finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, equals x. It is represented by the symbol √x.

How is xm/n equal to the nth root of x raised to the power of m?

xm/n is equal to the nth root of x raised to the power of m because it follows the laws of exponentiation. When a number is raised to a power, then the root of that number is taken, the result is the same as taking the root of the number first and then raising it to the power.

What is the relationship between x1/2 and √x?

x1/2 and √x are equivalent expressions and represent the same mathematical concept, which is the square root of x. They can be used interchangeably in equations and calculations.

Can x1/2 and √x be negative numbers?

Yes, x1/2 and √x can be negative numbers. The square root of a negative number is a complex number, and x1/2 can also be a negative number depending on the value of x.

How can the proof of x1/2 = √x and xm/n = √[n]{xm} be demonstrated?

The proof of these equations can be demonstrated using algebraic manipulation and the laws of exponentiation. By substituting the values of m and n into the equation and simplifying, it can be shown that the two expressions are equivalent.