How Many Girls Can Swim in a School of 2100 Pupils?

• Thread starter t3rom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving finding the number of girls who can swim in a school with 2100 pupils, as well as converting fractions to decimal form. The solution provided shows that 280 girls can swim, and the correct way to convert 5 and 2 hundredths to a decimal is 5.02. The correct way to convert 3 whole and 8 tenths to a decimal is 3.8.
t3rom
Kindly check this math.

A. Homework Statement :

Q1. There are 2100 pupils in a school. 1/3 of the pupils are girls. 2/5 of the girls can swim. How many girls can swim?

Q2. 5 Whole 2 hundredths=?

Q3. 3 Whole 8 tenths= ?
B. The attempt at a solution

Ans1:

2100 x 1/3= 700
700 x 2/5 =280

280 girls can swim

Ans2: 5 Whole x 0.02 = 5.02
Ans3: 3 Whole x 0.8 = 3.8

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. looks good.

2. "five and two hundredths" is ##5+\frac{2}{100}##. That x you wrote looks like a multiplication symbol. Your result is correct, but unless you were asked to answer in decimal form, the answer should be a fraction. (An answer in decimal form makes the reader think that maybe the answer has been rounded off).

3. See 2.

Question 1 looks right.

Question 2 and 3, what do they mean by 3 whole? Is that like I have 3 pies and now I want 8 tenths of them?

In that case it's 3x0.8 as you wrote but the answer isn't 3.8 as you've added .8 to the 3 not multiplied by .8

jedishrfu said:
Question 1 looks right.

Question 2 and 3, what do they mean by 3 whole? Is that like I have 3 pies and now I want 8 tenths of them?

In that case it's 3x0.8 as you wrote but the answer isn't 3.8 as you've added .8 to the 3 not multiplied by .8
The OP miswrote -- it should be 3 + 0.8

Likes jedishrfu
Hi Mark44, thanks for the correction, I didn't understand the terminology of 3 whole 8 tenths and thought it was something else.

Related to How Many Girls Can Swim in a School of 2100 Pupils?

1. What are fractions?

Fractions are a way of representing a part of a whole. They consist of two numbers, the numerator (top number) and the denominator (bottom number), separated by a line. The numerator represents how many parts we have, while the denominator represents how many parts the whole is divided into.

2. How do I add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, we need to make sure they have the same denominator. If they don't, we'll need to find a common denominator by finding the lowest number that both denominators can divide into evenly. Then, we can add or subtract the numerators and keep the denominator the same.

3. Can fractions be simplified?

Yes, fractions can be simplified by dividing both the numerator and denominator by the same number. We simplify fractions to make them easier to work with and to find equivalent fractions.

4. What is an equivalent fraction?

An equivalent fraction is a fraction that represents the same amount as another fraction, but is written in a different form. For example, 1/2 and 2/4 are equivalent fractions because they both represent half of a whole.

5. How do I multiply or divide fractions?

To multiply fractions, we simply multiply the numerators together and the denominators together. To divide fractions, we invert the second fraction and then multiply. Remember to always simplify the resulting fraction if possible.