Is Speed Real and Who Has the Correct Frame of Reference in the Universe?

In summary, our planet is moving through our solar system and our solar system is moving through our galaxy and our galaxy is moving within the local group and are local group is moving through our universe, so how fast are we moving right now, and if i then jump into my spaceship and accelerate am i accelerating or slowing down relative to the motion i already had gained through everything else's motion within the universe. We can travel at what we believe to be a certain speed but that speed is only relative to the one point in space which is not fixed which we have decided to use as our frame of reference but that one frame of reference can't be absolute as every point of space has a different frame of reference. so who
ukmicky
Our planet is moving through our solar system and our solar system is moving through our galaxy and our galaxy is moving within the local group and are local group is moving through our universe, so how fast are we moving right now, and if i then jump into my spaceship and accelerate am i accelerating or slowing down relative to the motion i already had gained through everything else's motion within the universe.

we can travel at what we believe to be a certain speed but that speed is only relative to the one point in space which is not fixed which we have decided to use as our frame of reference but that one frame of reference can't be absolute as every point of space has a different frame of reference. so who has the correct frame of reference, no one .

So is speed real ,is it possible to say that something anythings traveling within the universe at 1 10th the speed of light for instance.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Speed, or velocity, is only measurable relative to some reference object. There is no preferred background for measuring velocities, or in other words, every /inertial/ (non-accelerating) frame of reference is the "correct" frame of reference.

So in answer to your last question something can only be traveling through the universe at 0.1c relative to some reference frame which is not accelerating.

Hope this helped.

You can, of course, calculate all those velocities if you want - the information is available via some googling. But as Jheriko says, it though it is real, it isn't real meaningful.

No preferred frame?

Jheriko said:
Speed, or velocity, is only measurable relative to some reference object. There is no preferred background for measuring velocities, or in other words, every /inertial/ (non-accelerating) frame of reference is the "correct" frame of reference.

Actually, in a sense, in the context of cosmological models like the FRW dust solutions of the EFE, there is a kind of "preferred motion": motion comoving with the dust particles can be distinguished from motion which is not.

Moving from these highly idealized models to the real universe, this means that in a sense motion with respect to the "spatially averaged" cosmic background radiation can in principle be detected. Astronomers have in fact done this; this "dipole anisotropy" must be allowed for in analyzing the COBE data. In case anyone is curious: our solar system is moving toward the constellation Virgo, wrt the background radiation, at a fairly impressive clip.

Moving back to the FRW models, it is instructive to take a frame field http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Frame_fields_in_general_relativity&oldid=42117350 which is moving with comoving constant velocity wrt the dust particles. The energy-momentum tensor then acquires some off-diagonal components (momentum flux of the dust wrt our new observers) and pressure terms, but the eigenvalues still reveal that in a comoving frame, the pressure vanishes, so that the source of the gravitational field is a pressure perfect fluid (dust), and this is indeed a physical feature which is independent of the observer.

Related to Is Speed Real and Who Has the Correct Frame of Reference in the Universe?

What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of an object. It is an essential concept in physics as it allows us to measure and compare the motion of objects relative to a specific point of observation.

What is the difference between an inertial and non-inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is one in which an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. A non-inertial frame of reference is one in which objects at rest may appear to be moving or objects in motion may appear to be accelerating due to the frame itself accelerating.

How is speed defined in physics?

Speed is defined as the rate of change of distance with respect to time. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in units of distance per time (e.g. meters per second).

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

While speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

How are speed and acceleration related?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. This means that an object can accelerate by changing its speed, its direction, or both. In other words, a change in speed is a type of acceleration.