Free body diagram for a sliding contact

In summary, the problem involves determining the angle at which component B will begin to slide when pushed by component A. The contact between A and B is rough and the coefficients of friction are known. The weight of component B is also known. The approach involves drawing a free body diagram for B and resolving the forces into X and Y directions. The balance of forces in the X direction will help determine the angle at which B is about to slide. However, it is important to include a normal force on the left side of A to account for the constraint on its movement in the Y axis. It is also advised to look at the balance of vertical forces on A for a simpler solution.
Racer_Rob

Homework Statement

Component A is pushed vertically down with a known force F into component B. The angled surface of B is parallel to the angled surface of A. The contact between A and B is rough and so is the contact between B and the ground. The coefficients of friction are known and so is the weight of component B.

Determine the angle at which component B is about to slide.

Homework Equations

See attached image.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the problem in frame 1. In frame 2 I've drawn a free body diagram of component B. In frame 3 I've resolved these forces into X and Y directions. I assume I then write equations for these two directions and determine the angle which makes the net force in the X direction equal zero.

Could someone please advise if I've identified the forces correctly and if this approach is correct, thanks!

Attachments

• Mechanics problem.png
    Mechanics problem.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
Racer_Rob said:

Homework Statement

Component A is pushed vertically down with a known force F into component B. The angled surface of B is parallel to the angled surface of A. The contact between A and B is rough and so is the contact between B and the ground. The coefficients of friction are known and so is the weight of component B.

Determine the angle at which component B is about to slide.

Homework Equations

See attached image.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the problem in frame 1. In frame 2 I've drawn a free body diagram of component B. In frame 3 I've resolved these forces into X and Y directions. I assume I then write equations for these two directions and determine the angle which makes the net force in the X direction equal zero.

Could someone please advise if I've identified the forces correctly and if this approach is correct, thanks!
What stops component A moving left?

In the system that this is from, component A is constrained such that it's only able to move in the Y axis.

Racer_Rob said:
In the system that this is from, component A is constrained such that it's only able to move in the Y axis.
So include a force for that. It is relevant.

So that's going to be a normal force on the left side of A equal to the sum of all the resolved forces that are acting in the -X direction i.e. μ1Fcosθ sinθ, and I'll need to include this in the force balance?

Racer_Rob said:
So that's going to be a normal force on the left side of A equal to the sum of all the resolved forces that are acting in the -X direction i.e. μ1Fcosθ sinθ, and I'll need to include this in the force balance?
Yes, it will provide the horizontal balance for A, but since it will affect the normal force between A and B do not assume it is equal to μ1Fcosθ sinθ.

Hm, will there additionally be a Fcosθcosθ term to add to that? I've got this from the X direction reaction force at the interface between A and B.

Racer_Rob said:
Hm, will there additionally be a Fcosθcosθ term to add to that? I've got this from the X direction reaction force at the interface between A and B.
I don't know how you are getting that. I don't think it is right.
You can avoid having to worry about the horizontal force on block A if you just look at the balance of the vertical forces on it. What equation do you get for that?

haruspex said:
I don't know how you are getting that. I don't think it is right.
You can avoid having to worry about the horizontal force on block A if you just look at the balance of the vertical forces on it. What equation do you get for that?
I've tried doing a force balance for block A first of all. I've written it out in terms of forces normal and parallel to the contact surface (rather than breaking these down into X and Y components.

http://i.imgur.com/TL0g7fr.jpg

If you think this looks somewhat correct I'll go on and do a free body diagram for B. :smile:

Racer_Rob said:
I've tried doing a force balance for block A first of all. I've written it out in terms of forces normal and parallel to the contact surface (rather than breaking these down into X and Y components.

http://i.imgur.com/TL0g7fr.jpg

If you think this looks somewhat correct I'll go on and do a free body diagram for B. :smile:
The free body diagram for A should not know anything about the friction between B and ground.
Trust me, it will be a lot simpler if you just look at the vertical forces on A. Resolving normally and parallel to the surface with B will only add more unknowns and equations.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It helps to simplify a complex system and analyze the forces acting on a specific point on the object.

2. What is a sliding contact?

Sliding contact refers to a situation where two surfaces are in contact with each other and one or both surfaces are in motion relative to the other. This can result in friction and other forces that affect the motion of the object.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram for a sliding contact?

To draw a free body diagram for a sliding contact, you will first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. These include the weight of the object, normal force, and any other external forces such as friction. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label all the forces with arrows indicating their direction and magnitude.

4. Why is a free body diagram important in analyzing a sliding contact situation?

A free body diagram is important because it helps to identify all the forces acting on an object and their relative magnitudes. This information is crucial in determining the net force and acceleration of the object in a sliding contact situation. It also helps in understanding the role of friction and other forces in affecting the motion of the object.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for non-uniform sliding contact situations?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for both uniform and non-uniform sliding contact situations. In non-uniform situations, the forces acting on different points of the object may vary, and the diagram can be modified accordingly to accurately represent the forces at each point.