1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram for a sliding contact

1. Nov 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Component A is pushed vertically down with a known force F into component B. The angled surface of B is parallel to the angled surface of A. The contact between A and B is rough and so is the contact between B and the ground. The coefficients of friction are known and so is the weight of component B.

Determine the angle at which component B is about to slide.

2. Relevant equations
    See attached image.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've drawn the problem in frame 1. In frame 2 I've drawn a free body diagram of component B. In frame 3 I've resolved these forces into X and Y directions. I assume I then write equations for these two directions and determine the angle which makes the net force in the X direction equal zero.

Could someone please advise if I've identified the forces correctly and if this approach is correct, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What stops component A moving left?

4. Nov 28, 2015 #3
    In the system that this is from, component A is constrained such that it's only able to move in the Y axis.

5. Nov 28, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So include a force for that. It is relevant.

6. Nov 28, 2015 #5
    So that's going to be a normal force on the left side of A equal to the sum of all the resolved forces that are acting in the -X direction i.e. μ1Fcosθ sinθ, and I'll need to include this in the force balance?

7. Nov 28, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, it will provide the horizontal balance for A, but since it will affect the normal force between A and B do not assume it is equal to μ1Fcosθ sinθ.

8. Nov 28, 2015 #7
    Hm, will there additionally be a Fcosθcosθ term to add to that? I've got this from the X direction reaction force at the interface between A and B.

9. Nov 29, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know how you are getting that. I don't think it is right.
    You can avoid having to worry about the horizontal force on block A if you just look at the balance of the vertical forces on it. What equation do you get for that?

10. Nov 29, 2015 #9
    I've tried doing a force balance for block A first of all. I've written it out in terms of forces normal and parallel to the contact surface (rather than breaking these down into X and Y components.

http://i.imgur.com/TL0g7fr.jpg

If you think this looks somewhat correct I'll go on and do a free body diagram for B. :smile:

11. Nov 29, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The free body diagram for A should not know anything about the friction between B and ground.
    Trust me, it will be a lot simpler if you just look at the vertical forces on A. Resolving normally and parallel to the surface with B will only add more unknowns and equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted