TimeInquirer
- 32
- 0
If a car is on top of a mountain moving with an initial velocity, will it only forces acting on it be the normal force counteracted by the force due to gravity?
The normal force will be less than the gravitational force. Part of the gravitational force will be used to change the direction of the velocity vector as the car travels in the arc over the crest of the mountain.TimeInquirer said:If a car is on top of a mountain moving with an initial velocity, will it only forces acting on it be the normal force counteracted by the force due to gravity?
We clearly have a difference in interpretation here. In the problem statement, they didn't have to mention that it was on the top of a mountain if they didn't expect you to take into account the curvature (and, instead, assume the car was on a flat horizontal surface).brainpushups said:It depends on what you mean by 'top of a mountain.' I interpret that to mean that the road is flat which means the velocity would be horizontal, and there would be no acceleration (assuming the person is not using the controls to do so).
I never said that. I said the author intended us to consider a curved mountain surface when the car is at the peak of the mountain.brainpushups said:I agree with you 100%, but why not say 'on a hill' or something? 'Top of a hill' to me says something different. I think you're right that the author of the question intends to discuss the component of gravity on a sloped surface.