Free electrons and intrinsic spin magnetic dipole moment orientation?

In summary: I looked up and the article clearly states it is about spin-orbit relation, and that: - "it only occurs in curvilinear motion and therefore cannot be observed independently of some centripetal force causing the curvilinear motion".Then you understand correctly. Unfortunately, that article does not mention anything about electron's magnetic moment orientation.
carrz
Are there any experiments or theories about the relation between magnetic dipole moment orientation and velocity vector of free electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
A free electron's dipole moment doesn't couple to its classical velocity for obvious reasons. For accelerating electrons see Thomas precession.

WannabeNewton said:
A free electron's dipole moment doesn't couple to its classical velocity for obvious reasons.

Just to make it clear, I'm not talking about the magnitude but spin axis orientation, i.e. North-South magnetic pole orientation. So are you saying that a single free electron traveling in a straight line with constant velocity, in absence of any external magnetic and electric fields, can have its magnetic spin dipole moment oriented in any arbitrary direction? How is that obvious, has it been experimentally measured?

For accelerating electrons see Thomas precession.

I understand that only applies to bound electrons in atomic orbitals. In which case electron's magnetic spin dipole moment orientation will also be relative to proton's magnetic fields and magnetic fields of other electrons, so it doesn't really answer the question. Still relevant though, so do you know what is electron's spin axis orientation in a hydrogen atom?

carrz said:
So are you saying that a single free electron traveling in a straight line with constant velocity, in absence of any external magnetic and electric fields, can have its magnetic spin dipole moment oriented in any arbitrary direction?

Yes this should be entirely obvious. It's no different from saying you can prepare a system of torque-free and force-free gyroscopes in arbitrary directions. If I'm in the inertial rest frame of such a gyroscope then I can rotate it around at whim so as to have it point in any arbitrary direction I choose and the gyroscope will stay oriented that way because it is free.

carrz said:
I understand that only applies to bound electrons in atomic orbitals.

Then you understand incorrectly. Did you even do what I asked and look up Thomas precession? You certainly do not yet know of its generality and where it actually comes from. There's no point in me explaining it when you have a wealth of resources online which can do so in depth.

WannabeNewton said:
Yes this should be entirely obvious. It's no different from saying you can prepare a system of torque-free and force-free gyroscopes in arbitrary directions. If I'm in the inertial rest frame of such a gyroscope then I can rotate it around at whim so as to have it point in any arbitrary direction I choose and the gyroscope will stay oriented that way because it is free.

Has it been experimentally measured? Beside spin magnetic moment, there is one more magnetic field electrons have, as described by Biot-Savart law, which has precisely defined orientation relative to velocity vector. Do you have any reason to believe electron's spin magnetic moment does not interact with its Biot-Savart magnetic moment?

Then you understand incorrectly. Did you even do what I asked and look up Thomas precession? You certainly do not yet know of its generality and where it actually comes from. There's no point in me explaining it when you have a wealth of resources online which can do so in depth.

I looked up and the article clearly states it is about spin-orbit relation, and that: - "it only occurs in curvilinear motion and therefore cannot be observed independently of some centripetal force causing the curvilinear motion". And it's only a correction, I'm asking about the actual value it is a correction to. Do you know what is electron's spin axis orientation in a hydrogen atom?

1. What are free electrons?

Free electrons are electrons that are not bound to any specific atom or molecule and are able to move freely within a material.

2. What is intrinsic spin magnetic dipole moment orientation?

Intrinsic spin magnetic dipole moment orientation refers to the orientation of the magnetic dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field produced by an electron's spin. It is an intrinsic property of an electron that determines its behavior in a magnetic field.

3. How do free electrons contribute to magnetism?

Free electrons contribute to magnetism through their intrinsic spin magnetic dipole moment orientation. When a large number of free electrons are aligned in the same direction, they produce a magnetic field, which can lead to the formation of a permanent magnet.

4. What is the difference between free electrons and bound electrons?

Bound electrons are electrons that are tightly bound to an atom and are not able to move freely. Free electrons, on the other hand, are not bound to any specific atom and are able to move freely within a material.

5. How does the orientation of an electron's spin affect its properties?

The orientation of an electron's spin affects its properties in various ways. It determines its behavior in a magnetic field, contributes to the formation of permanent magnets, and can also impact the electron's interactions with other particles, such as other electrons or photons.