Free MPEG 2 Video Standard Docs - Avoid Costly ISO Fees!

In summary: I've only really looked at H.261 and MPEG2. In summary, the conversation is about the search for technical documentation on the mpeg 2 video standard. The ISO charges high fees for access to the documentation, but there are alternative resources such as the book "Video Demystified" by Jack. There is also mention of other resources such as the book "Standard video codecs" by Ghanbari. The conversation also touches on the similarities between different codecs and the small differences that exist between them.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
I'm looking for technical documentation on the mpeg 2 video standard. Unfortunetly, ISO forces you to pay hundreds of dollars in royalty fees just to download the stupid pdf from their site. If anyone has a copy of the actual spec that would be great. I'm currently doing a research project for a DSP class and the docs would help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You probably don't want (or need) the spec anyway. How about one of the common indsutry video bibles, like "Video Demystified" by Jack?

- Warren

I think the DSP of MPEG2 will be quite similar to any other codec. Of course there will be differences, but the general structure of the actual video coder/decoder will be pretty much the same, and use many of the same principals. Alot of the differences occur with things like whether the video is interlaced/non interlaced, the amount of scaleability of the video etc.
There will also be some (usually quite small) differences with how some values are set (e.g. scanning order of DCT coefficients). These changes are usually designed to squeeze that extra couple of percent of compression out of the encoder.

Also, 'Standard video codecs' by Ghanbari is a very good book.

PS

Related to Free MPEG 2 Video Standard Docs - Avoid Costly ISO Fees!

1. What is MPEG 2 Video Standard?

MPEG 2 Video Standard is a video compression format developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) and is widely used for digital video broadcasting, DVD, and other media formats.

2. Why should I care about avoiding costly ISO fees?

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) charges fees for the use of their standards, including MPEG 2. Avoiding these fees can save you money and help with budget constraints.

3. How can I access the free MPEG 2 Video Standard docs?

The MPEG 2 Video Standard docs can be found on the MPEG website or through various online resources. They are free to access and use for personal and non-commercial purposes.

4. Is it legal to use the free MPEG 2 Video Standard docs?

Yes, it is legal to use the free MPEG 2 Video Standard docs for personal and non-commercial purposes. However, if you plan to use it for commercial purposes, you may need to obtain a license from the ISO.

5. Are there any limitations to using the free MPEG 2 Video Standard docs?

The free MPEG 2 Video Standard docs may have limited or outdated information compared to the official ISO standard. It is recommended to use them for reference purposes only and to consult the official ISO standard for any critical or commercial projects.