1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Particles on a Line Segment (Quantum Mechanics)

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    Problem
    At [tex]t = 0[/tex], [tex]10^5[/tex] noninteracting protons are known to be on a line segment [tex]10 \text{cm}[/tex] long. It is equally probable to find any proton at any point on this segment. How many protons remain on the segment at [tex]t = 10 \text{s}[/tex]?

Attempt at Solution
    Well, let the protons lie between [tex]x = -5[/tex] and [tex]x = 5[/tex]. Now, we can model the initial state function to be

[tex]
    \psi(x, 0) =
    \begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{10}, & \mbox{if }|x|\le 5 \\
    0, & \mbox{if } |x| > 5
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]​

Our aim is to find

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\psi(x, 10)|^2 dx[/tex]​

Now, we have that

[tex]\psi(x, t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} b(k) \curlyphi_k e^{-i \omega_k t} dx[/tex]​

where

[tex]b(k) = \int_{-5}^{5} \psi(x, 0) \curlyphi_k^* dk [/tex] = \frac{1}{10\sqrt{2\pi}} \cdot \frac{2 \sin 5k}{k}​

and [tex]\curlyphi_k[/tex] represents the momentum eigenstate corresponding to wavenumber [tex]k[/tex]. We try to find [tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \psi(x, t) \cdot \psi^* (x, t)[/tex]:

[tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^* (k) \curlyphi_k \curlyphi_{k'}^* e^{-i \omega_k t + i \omega_k' t) dk dk'[/tex]​

which is a rather formidable integral. However, note that [tex]\curlyphi_k \curlyphi_{k'}^* = \langle \curlyphi_{k'} | \curlyphi_{k} \rangle = \delta(k' - k)[/tex]. This means that the entire integral breaks down to

[tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^* (k) \curlyphi_k \curlyphi_{k'}^* e^{-i \omega_k t + i \omega_k' t) dk dk' = \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^*(k) dk[/tex]​

since the integrand is zero whenever [tex]k \neq k'.[/tex]. Substituting [tex]b(k)[/tex], we have

[tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^*(k) dk = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{50 \pi} \frac{\sin^2 5k}{k^2} dk = \frac{1}{10}[/tex]

Thus, we have that

[tex]10000\int_{-5}^{5} |\psi(x, t)|^2 dx = 10000 \cdot 10 \cdot \frac{1}{10} = 10000[/tex]. But this is the same number of particles that were initially in the interval. Is this correct? Or have I made a mistake somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

the notation is confusing. You used "curlyphi" in your latex code but it does not come out at all. I am assuming you mean curlyphi_k = [tex] e^{-i k x} [/tex], right?

You cannot do what you just did in your last line above and replace by a delta function in momentum space! This is only truw if one integrates over x

[tex] \int dx e^{ix(k-k')} \simeq \delta (k-k') [/tex]

where I am not paying attention to the overall constant.

In your case you are not integrating over x so you can't replace by a delta function. You must carry out the k and k' integrals explicitly.

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3
    Ack.. here's the fixed version of my solution with Latex corrected... I used Mathematica terminology accidentally in my first post :tongue: If this is incorrect, how would I evaluate the integral? It seems extremely daunting... the integral is

[tex]\psi(x, t) = \frac{1}{100\pi^2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin 5k}{k} \frac{\sin 5k'}{k'} e^{i [\hbar k'^2/2m - \hbar k^2/2m] t} e^{i (k-k') x} dk dk'[/tex]

I tried evaluating the above using Mathematica, and it couldn't do it :frown: Anyways, here was my earlier solution:

At [tex]t = 0[/tex], [tex]10^5[/tex] noninteracting protons are known to be on a line segment [tex]10 \text{cm}[/tex] long. It is equally probable to find any proton at any point on this segment. How many protons remain on the segment at [tex]t = 10 \text{s}[/tex]?

Attempt at Solution
    Well, let the protons lie between [tex]x = -5[/tex] and [tex]x = 5[/tex]. Now, we can model the initial state function to be

[tex]
    \psi(x, 0) =
    \begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{10}, & \mbox{if }|x|\le 5 \\
    0, & \mbox{if } |x| > 5
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]​

Our aim is to find

[tex]\int_{-5}^{5} |\psi(x, 10)|^2 dx[/tex]​

Now, we have that

[tex]\psi(x, t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} b(k) \varphi_k e^{-i \omega_k t} dx[/tex]​

where

[tex]b(k) = \int_{-5}^{5} \psi(x, 0) \varphi_k^* dk = \frac{1}{10\sqrt{2\pi}} \cdot \frac{2 \sin 5k}{k}[/tex]

and [tex]\varphi_k[/tex] represents the momentum eigenstate corresponding to wavenumber [tex]k[/tex]. We try to find [tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \psi(x, t) \cdot \psi^* (x, t)[/tex]:

[tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^* (k) \varphi_k \varphi_{k'}^* e^{-i \omega_k t + i \omega_k' t) dk dk'[/tex]​

which is a rather formidable integral. However, note that [tex]\varphi_k \varphi_{k'}^* = \langle \varphi_{k'} | \varphi_{k} \rangle = \delta(k' - k)[/tex]. This means that the entire integral breaks down to

[tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^* (k) \varphi_k \varphi_{k'}^* e^{-i \omega_k t + i \omega_k' t) dk dk' = \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^*(k) dk[/tex]​

since the integrand is zero whenever [tex]k \neq k'.[/tex]. Substituting [tex]b(k)[/tex], we have

[tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty b(k) b^*(k) dk = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{50 \pi} \frac{\sin^2 5k}{k^2} dk = \frac{1}{10}[/tex]

Thus, we have that

[tex]10000\int_{-5}^{5} |\psi(x, t)|^2 dx = 10000 \cdot 10 \cdot \frac{1}{10} = 10000[/tex]. But this is the same number of particles that were initially in the interval. Is this correct? Or have I made a mistake somewhere?

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A remark: Should the wave function initally be 1/sqrt(10) instead of 1/10? You need the integral of the square of the wave function to be 1 right?

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5
    Oh yea, that's right.. wow.. I'm making really careless errors. But that wouldn't affect the difficulty of evaluating the integral right? Everything (almost) is just off by a factor of sqrt(10)...

7. Aug 6, 2008 #6

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm really not sure... I don't know enough quantum to understand most of the post (except for that part I mentioned).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?