Frequence of resonating wine glass

• Thread starter ZeroGravity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary: The fundamental frequency is what you get when the wavelength is twice the length of the string; the second harmonic (first overtone) when it is the length of the string; the third harmonic when it is two-thirds the length, etc.In summary, when rubbing a finger around the rim of a wine glass, the glass itself vibrates to produce a fine tone. The frequency of the sound is lowered when water is added to the glass due to the increased mass that needs to be moved in order for the glass to vibrate. The type of glass used, whether crystal or regular, affects the sound quality. It is the glass that is vibrating, not the air inside the glass. Adding water changes the boundary conditions of the glass,
ZeroGravity
Rubbing your finger around the rim of a wine glass produces a fine tone.It seems that my litle kitchen-table experiment produced 1000 Hz at a higt amplitude and the first overtone 2000 Hz had a small amplitude, 3000 Hz was higher and so it seems wiht 5000 Hz.
So the even overtones are suppresed just as in a half-open resonant tube (a pan flute)

Here is my question :
Why is the frequency lowered (to about 500 Hz with the glass almost full of water) instead of increased when I poor water in the glass. It should be increased as the air column is shortend ? or ?
Can anyone help ?

-ZeroGravity

Physics news on Phys.org
The water plays another dominant role: it affects the mass. How does the natural frequency of a harmonic oscillator depend on its mass?

Hmm, this differs from blowing over a coke bottle, where the height of the air column determines the resonance. I think that the glass walls actually vibrate when you rub the rim, so adding water increases the mass and lowers the tone just as rubbing a glass with thicker walls.

marcusl said:
Hmm, this differs from blowing over a coke bottle, where the height of the air column determines the resonance. I think that the glass walls actually vibrate when you rub the rim, so adding water increases the mass and lowers the tone just as rubbing a glass with thicker walls.

Does this work only with crystal wine glasses, or does normal glass work as well?

marcusl said:
In a coke bottle with fat walls, it is the air column inside that resonates.
With a wine glass, it is the glass that resonates. Water damps the oscillation of the glass. A cheap wine glass with thick walls would be morre like a coke bottle. Of course, the instrument, called the "harmonica" was invented by Ben Franklin. Mozart composed for it.

The mass of a harmonic oscilator affects the frequency as 1/SQRT(m), this would mean that a frequency of 1000 Hz with 1 part (of say water) in the glass should be lowered to 500 Hz with 4 parts (of water) in the glass, but in my wine glass (of a typicas wine glass shape) it is only lowered to about 750 Hz. the shape og the glass might affect the effective mass, so maybe I should try disserent shapes. - other ideas ?

- ZeroGravity

Johnson said:
Does this work only with crystal wine glasses, or does normal glass work as well?
It works with regular glass too, although the sound is different because the material is different. "Crystal" is actually glass with up to 25% lead content. The lead makes the glass harder and less lossy; you can hear the sweet tone and long ring time (high "quality factor") of a crystal glass compared to the short tinny tone of regular glass if you rap them with a spoon.

It seems to follow this behavior for cylindrical glasses of same material and thickness.
Frequency in Hz
Any ideas ?
(i have tried to attach 3 graphs...first time- hope it works)

- ZeroGravity

Attachments

• GlassResonanceData.GIF
    GlassResonanceData.GIF
    33.8 KB · Views: 754
The glass is what is vibrating, I don't know the modes but they're probably very complicated. My guess is the water level is creating a boundary condition on the glass, below this level the oscillations are damped, and above they are undamped, so maybe you are imposing a node at the water level, and therefore changing the maximum wavelength of oscillations?

I suggest trying a simpler case, eg. a string from x=0 to x=l where for some a,0<a<l, in the region [0,a] you have undamped motion and for [a,l] you have damped motion, then see what the conditions are at x=a.

ZeroGravity said:
Rubbing your finger around the rim of a wine glass produces a fine tone.It seems that my litle kitchen-table experiment produced 1000 Hz at a higt amplitude and the first overtone 2000 Hz had a small amplitude, 3000 Hz was higher and so it seems wiht 5000 Hz.
So the even overtones are suppresed just as in a half-open resonant tube (a pan flute)

Here is my question :
Why is the frequency lowered (to about 500 Hz with the glass almost full of water) instead of increased when I poor water in the glass. It should be increased as the air column is shortend ? or ?
Can anyone help ?

-ZeroGravity

As others have said, it is the glass that is vibrating and producing the tone, not the air inside.
I did a study on something similar to this a while back and it seems the fundamental vibration occurs when the rim of the glass vibrates such that there are 4 nodes and 4 antinodes spaced equally around it.
The glass needs to vibrate in and out, and as such, placing water in it means that there is a greater amount of mass to be moved than if you had air in it. This results in the fundamental frequency being reduced. The more water, the more mass needs to be moved.

hi I am doing about this in my physics experiment for college. if you look at a bottle when you blow across the top it is the air inside the bottle that resonates - so less air causes a higher note like a shorter string on an instrument. well when you rub your finger around a wine glass it is the glass itself which is resonating so there is a lower note when the glass is full. i think its to do with the speed in which the glass resonates - this causes the frequency to change. this is because the water or liquid inside the glass slows down the speed in which the glass is able to resonate. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Suspect this involves a different mode of vibration, but it's fun, and not hard to explain...

Tap the rim of an empty cup or mug (which must have a handle). Tap it first at the point on the rim (call it 12 o'clock) just above the handle, then at 1.30, then at 3.00, then at 4.30 and so on. In other words, advance 45° each time. No need to be precise. What do you observe about the notes sounded?

Suspect this involves a different mode of vibration, but it's fun, and not hard to explain...

Tap the rim of an empty cup or mug (which must have a handle), with a radially-directed hit from, say, a pencil. Tap it first at the point on the rim (call it 12 o'clock) just above the handle, then at 1.30, then at 3.00, then at 4.30 and so on. In other words, advance 45° each time. No need to be precise. What do you observe about the notes sounded?

1. What is the frequency of a resonating wine glass?

The frequency of a resonating wine glass can vary depending on factors such as the shape and size of the glass, the type of wine, and the amount of liquid in the glass. However, on average, the frequency is typically around 500 Hz.

2. How does the frequency of a wine glass change when it is filled with different amounts of liquid?

The frequency of a wine glass will decrease as it is filled with more liquid. This is because the added weight of the liquid changes the tension of the glass, causing the frequency to decrease.

3. Why does a wine glass resonate at a specific frequency?

A wine glass resonates at a specific frequency due to its natural vibrational frequency. When the glass is struck or rubbed, it vibrates at this frequency, producing the characteristic ringing sound.

4. Can different types of wine glasses have different resonant frequencies?

Yes, the shape and size of a wine glass can affect its resonant frequency. For example, a shorter and wider glass will have a lower frequency compared to a taller and narrower glass.

5. Can the temperature of the wine affect the frequency of a resonating wine glass?

Yes, the temperature of the wine can affect the frequency of a resonating wine glass. Cold wine will decrease the frequency, while warm wine will increase it. This is because temperature affects the density and elasticity of the glass, which in turn affects its resonant frequency.