Frequency of a falling persons scream

In summary, someone is free falling off a cliff and will hear their earlier scream at 20 meters below the cliff. At 40 meters below the cliff, the scream will have already been emitted.
IanIanIan

Homework Statement

Someone is free falling off a cliff. 20 m below the clifftop they scream with a frequency f. a) What does a person standing at the top of the cliff hear? b) what will they hear when the person is 40 m below the cliff?

Homework Equations

f'=f(v+-v_d)/(v-+v_s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem whatsoever with part a, but our professor gave us part b to think about over the weekend and said it would likely be on our midterm that's coming up. I looked at it and at first thought it easy as well, but he pointed out that they started screaming at 20 m below, not at 40 m. So they have already been screaming for the last 20 m. I can't fathom what this does to the frequency though. Does anyone have any idea where to start on something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The person is falling at a faster speed at 40 meters than at 20 meters, because of gravity.

Yeah but my professor said it was a very tricky problem, and i feel like that is too obvious :S

The speed of the sound is about 340 m/s. The sound emitted at distance h needs t=h/340 m time to reach the observer. When the falling person is 40 m deep, the observer on the cliff top hears his earlier scream.

ehild

I thought of that too, but then wouldn't the answer to part A be the observer hears no sound since it technically hasn't traveled to him yet? So I feel like that isn't it. We took part A up in class so I know that's it.

I know the whole nature of the doppler equation comes from stuff moving away/towards each other at constant velocities, could the fact that the source is now accelerating make this different? But then what makes it different from Part A? This is why I posted here I am at a total loss of where to start on this.

Question a) does not refer to the time. It asks the frequency heard from the first scream - at any time.
Question b) asks the frequency of the scream heard at that time instant when the falling man is at 40 m depth. It is at t=sqrt(2h/g) s after he dropped from the cliff. But the sound heard that time instant came from an earlier stage of fall, when the man was at depth h'.

ehild

Ah actually you are right..I still feel like that's too simple though, I just wrote the question out by memory though. I'll double check and get back to you :)

Thanks for the quick replies

It is not that simple...

ehild

1. How does the frequency of a falling person's scream change as they fall?

The frequency of a falling person's scream does not change significantly as they fall. This is because the pitch of a scream is primarily determined by the vocal cords and not affected by the speed of the fall.

2. Is there a difference in frequency between a scream while falling versus a scream while standing?

There is no significant difference in frequency between a scream while falling and a scream while standing. The pitch of a scream is mainly determined by the vocal cords and not affected by the body's position.

3. Can the frequency of a scream be used to determine the height of a fall?

No, the frequency of a scream cannot be used to determine the height of a fall. The pitch of a scream is not affected by the distance of the fall, only the vocal cords.

4. Does the frequency of a falling person's scream change in different environments?

The frequency of a falling person's scream may appear to change in different environments due to the surrounding acoustics, but it is not affected by the environment itself.

5. Is there a standard frequency for a falling person's scream?

There is no standard frequency for a falling person's scream as it can vary greatly depending on the individual's vocal cords and other factors such as their emotional state. However, most screams fall within the frequency range of 300-3000 Hz.