1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of a wire/spring system?

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    Hi, I have a wire that is fixed on one end and is under 2 lbs (approx) of tension on the other end due to a spring. Using a fixed/fixed closed form solution I found the first mode to be 73.6 Hz. In a vibration test, we found the first mode to be 110 Hz. Does this seem reasonable and where do you think my error is coming from? The wire is made of 7x7 braided stainless steel and is .018 inches diameter.

Liam

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe I could help you more effectively if you showed your work. But I do note that the ratio of the two is suspiciously close to the square root of 2. Did you drop a factor of root 2?

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    Thank you, i'm happy to be here.

No, that is a good question though. The 73 Hz. is correct and I have checked it with several different sources. It assumes however that both ends are fixed and in reality one end of the wire is attached to a spring. I just didn't think that I would get 1.5x error.

My original equation was

CodeCogsEqn.gif

And this gives the 73Hz.
    My Setup:
    IMG_20150612_130508.jpg

This is the end with the spring. The other end is fixed.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  5. Jun 12, 2015 #4
    And how did you measure the tension?

6. Jun 12, 2015 #5
    I found weight that measured 2 lbs, hung it off the end of the wire which compressed the spring on the other end, and then crimped and cut the wire at that length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook