Solving Friction & Skier Homework with Work-Energy Theorem

• Thread starter xgoddess210
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: The work-energy theorem is saying that energy is always conserved so something had to provide energy for the box to move. In this case, gravity is providing the energy needed to move the box up the incline. Once you know how high the box has to go and what the potential energy is, you can then calculate the work that needs to be done against friction.
xgoddess210

Homework Statement

You are a member of an alpine rescue team and must get a box of supplies, with mass 2.20 kg, up an incline of constant slope angle 30.0 degrees so that it reaches a stranded skier who is a vertical distance 2.80 m above the bottom of the incline. There is some friction present; the kinetic coefficient of friction is 6.00×10^−2. Since you can't walk up the incline, you give the box a push that gives it an initial velocity; then the box slides up the incline, slowing down under the forces of friction and gravity. Take acceleration due to gravity to be 9.81 m/s^2.

Use the work-energy theorem to calculate the minimum speed v that you must give the box at the bottom of the incline so that it will reach the skier.

Homework Equations

W= kf-ki+ uf-ui

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really see how the work-energy theorem applies. I know we have the kinetic coefficient of friction, but what about the potential. I'm very confused by this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
The work-energy theorem does indeed apply. You are going to need to show some work before I can help you much. Try starting by answering these questions:

1. Can you state the work-energy theorem?

2. What force is doing the work?

ok. The work energy theorem is basically saying that since energy is always conserved, something had to provide energy and its done through work. So in less words it is the relationship between the work done and the change in energy.

I think gravity is doing most of the work by pulling the box down, but i don't really know.

Also, what exactly does the question mean? A person is pushing a box up an incline that they can't walk up, so I have to find how hard it would have to be pushed to get it all the way up the slope, even with friction and gravity pulling it back down?

xgoddess210 said:
ok. The work energy theorem is basically saying that since energy is always conserved, something had to provide energy and its done through work. So in less words it is the relationship between the work done and the change in energy.

I think gravity is doing most of the work by pulling the box down, but i don't really know.

Also, what exactly does the question mean? A person is pushing a box up an incline that they can't walk up, so I have to find how hard it would have to be pushed to get it all the way up the slope, even with friction and gravity pulling it back down?

If you know how high vertically it has to go that gives you the Potential energy that it needs at a minimum doesn't it?

And you also should be able to figure how much work needs to be done against friction over the length of the slope.

So if work needs to be done to overcome friction how would that enter into your thinking about the kinetic energy you need to impart at the bottom?

What is friction and how does it affect skiing?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. In skiing, friction can affect the speed and control of the skier, as it creates resistance against their movements down the slope.

How does the Work-Energy Theorem relate to solving friction and skier homework?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. This theorem can be applied to solving problems involving friction and skiing by calculating the work done by friction and its effect on the skier's kinetic energy.

What are the steps to solving a problem involving friction and skiing using the Work-Energy Theorem?

The first step is to identify the forces acting on the skier, including friction. Then, calculate the work done by each force. Next, use the Work-Energy Theorem to find the change in kinetic energy of the skier. Finally, use this value to solve for any unknown variables, such as the skier's speed.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the skier's motion?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness between two surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the surfaces, which can slow down the skier's motion. Lower coefficients of friction can result in faster speeds for the skier.

What are some real-life applications of using the Work-Energy Theorem to solve friction and skiing problems?

The Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to a variety of activities that involve friction, such as skiing, ice skating, and even driving a car. It can also be used in engineering and design to understand the energy and forces involved in different systems and structures.