Does friction affect the applied force in motion on an incline?

You can solve these equations simultaneously to find the values of F and N. In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 7.50kg moving up an incline of 25.0 degrees with an applied force F and coefficients of friction ms=0.443 and mk=0.312. The equations involved are F-T=ma, N=mgcos(25.0)+Fsin(25.0), and T=Coefficient*N. By substituting T with coefficient*N in the first equation and solving simultaneously with the second equation, the values of F and N can be found.
waldvocm
A block M=7.50kg is initially moving up an incline of 25.0degrees and is increasing sppeed with a= 4.44. The applied Force, F, is horizontal. The coefficients of friction between the block and incline are ms=0.443 and mk=0.312.

a) Fcos(25.0)-73.5sin(25.0)=0 F=34.3 This makes sense to me but does friction play a part in the applied force?

b) N=mgcos(25.0)+Fsin(25.0) N=81.1

c) fs=0.553*N

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand what you are doing.In the direction of the incline the net force is not zero it is F-T=ma where T=(coefficient)*N
N=mgcos25

Sorry i have a mistake N=mgcos25+Fsin25

The force has has nothing to do with friction whereas the frixtion depends on the force because N the normal contact force depends on F in this excercise

Thank you for the help

Now, I have the equations
F-T=ma
N=mgcos(25.0)+Fsin(25.0)
T=Coefficient*N

How do I solve them with all of the unknowns?

If you replace T with coefficient*N in the fisrt equation you have two equations with two unknowns.1)F-cof*N=ma
2)N=mgcos25+Fsin25

FAQ: Does friction affect the applied force in motion on an incline?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects when they come into contact with each other. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects, which create resistance when trying to slide or roll against each other.

2. What are the different types of friction?

There are four types of friction: static, kinetic, rolling, and fluid. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding against each other. Rolling friction occurs when a round object, like a wheel, rolls over a surface. Fluid friction occurs when an object moves through a fluid, such as air or water.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion. It can slow down or stop the motion of an object, or it can also be used to control and manipulate the motion of objects, such as in the case of brakes on a car or the grip on a tennis racket.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The amount of friction between two objects depends on several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces. Friction also increases with the surface area of the objects in contact.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces, which helps to smooth out any irregularities and reduce the resistance. Another method is to use materials with low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon. Additionally, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together can also decrease friction.

Back