Friction and Newton's Third Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction and its relation to the forces acting on a moving car. The net force on the car is calculated to be 2.1 kN northward, with the normal and gravitational forces cancelling out. The source of friction is determined to be the equal and opposite forces acting on the car and the road, and it is parallel to the contact surface. The normal force is also mentioned as a pair of equal and opposite forces on the car and the ground, and it is perpendicular to the contact force.
Zoolog
Hello,

I have a question from a conceptual problem in my textbook as follows:

A car is moving north and speeding up to pass a truck on a level road. The combined contact force exerted on the road by all four tires has vertical component 11.0 kN downward and horizontal component 3.3 kN southward. The drag force exerted on the car by the air is 1.2 kN southward. What is the net force acting on the car?

The answer given in the textbook has the normal and gravitational forces cancelling out; and the net force being 2.1 kN northward on the car; with static friction exceeding the drag force by that much. My confusion is with the source of the friction. If the tires exert 3.3 kN south on the road, and the road exerts a force of 3.3 kN north on the tires where does the friction come in? Is the friction a force in addition to the equal and opposite force? Does the static friction on the car come from moving with the tires to resist this force? Or is the static friction on the car from the road resisting the tires motion?

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Zoolog said:
If the tires exert 3.3 kN south on the road, and the road exerts a force of 3.3 kN north on the tires where does the friction come in? Is the friction a force in addition to the equal and opposite force? Does the static friction on the car come from moving with the tires to resist this force? Or is the static friction on the car from the road resisting the tires motion?

The "friction" is the pair of opposite 3.3 kN forces. As you said, one force acts on the road and the other force acts on the tires, i.e. on the car.

The question asks you about fhe net force acting on the car.

The force acting on the road does actually change the motion of the Earth by a tiny amount, but it's so small that you can ignore it.

O.K, so if I understand you correctly the friction IS the equal and opposite force from the third law?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the equal and opposite force" (singular, not plural).

Suppose you hold a block of wood in each hand and rub them together. You can't really say that the "friction force" acts on one block and some other force acts on the other block. I would say there are two equal and opposite friction forces (consistent with the third law), with one force acting on each block.

I think I understand now. So the normal force is the force equal and opposite to weight and perpendicular to the contact force. "Friction" is the pair of forces parallel to the contact surface?

Zoolog said:
So the normal force is the force equal and opposite to weight and perpendicular to the contact force.
No, the normal force is a pair of equal and opposite forces on the car and ground, and so is gravity. They are the same magnitude here.
"Friction" is the pair of forces parallel to the contact surface?
Yes.

Alright, thank you

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of objects when they come in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and can be affected by factors such as weight, surface area, and the materials of the objects.

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does friction relate to Newton's Third Law?

Friction is an example of Newton's Third Law in action. When two objects come in contact, the force of friction is equal and opposite to the force of the objects pushing against each other. This is why it is harder to push an object on a rough surface compared to a smooth surface.

What are the different types of friction?

There are four main types of friction: static, sliding, rolling, and fluid. Static friction occurs when two objects are not moving relative to each other. Sliding friction occurs when two objects are sliding against each other. Rolling friction occurs when an object is rolling over a surface. Fluid friction occurs when an object moves through a fluid, such as air or water.

How can friction be reduced or increased?

The amount of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface between two objects. It can also be reduced by using wheels or rollers, which reduces the surface area in contact with the ground. Friction can be increased by making surfaces rougher or by increasing the weight of an object.