1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction as B times angular speed?

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    Friction as B times angular speed??!

Hi,

My control systems book uses a weird notation for the moment caused by friction in a rotating motor. The equation is

Tfriction = B×dθ/dt

Where does this equation come from? The author assumes the reader is already familiar with this equation.

The only definition of friction I am familiar with is F = μN. Obviously the torque is given by T = Fd. I have never learned about torques in rotational systems so I assume the equation used in the book is well known and analogous to the translation friction equation.

What exactly is the B coefficient called? Where does this equation come from?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2
    That equation for translational motion would be F = B dv/dt. It is termed the damping force.

B is the viscous damping coeficient. A damper is represented as a pictogram of a dashpot where a viscous fluid such as oil provides the damping force as a linear function of translational velocity dv/dt, or in rotational motion dθ/dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook