Friction at the axle vs at the Tyre

In summary, the coefficient of friction for tires on a dry road surface is about 0.7, while the coefficient of friction between two lubricated hard steel surfaces is about 0.07. The use of steel wheels and rails suggests that tire/road friction is significant. However, this is different from friction in the car's axle, which is affected by lubrication. Additionally, the conversation also touches on rolling resistance and its impact on acceleration, braking, and mileage.
Frenemy90210
Typically how do the two frictions, namely
1. at the axle of a car wheel vs
2. friction experienced by tyre at the road surface
compare with each other? are they some what equal ?.. I am interested in approximate ratio of the two values . Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
.Scott said:
They are certainly not equal.
You want to reduce friction at the axle and increase it at the road surface.

The coefficient of friction for the tire on a dry road surface is about 0.7.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Mechanics/frictire.html

The coefficient of friction between two lubricated hard steel surfaces is about 0.07.
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/friction_sliding_lubricated.htm#.WcO6WrJ96po
The fact that they use steel wheels and rails where possible is evidence that the tyre / road friction is very relevant.

sophiecentaur said:
The fact that they use steel wheels and rails where possible is evidence that the tyre / road friction is very relevant.
I'm not sure I catch what you're saying. For a train, the coefficient of friction between the wheels and the rails are comparable to automobile tires on a road surface.
But, of course, that has nothing to do with friction in the axle of the car where the components are lubricated.

.Scott said:
I'm not sure I catch what you're saying. For a train, the coefficient of friction between the wheels and the rails are comparable to automobile tires on a road surface.
But, of course, that has nothing to do with friction in the axle of the car where the components are lubricated.
Are you saying that the choice of rails is just based on load carrying capability?
I guess the rolling resistance would be a more relevant quantity. I believe tyres are much more lossy than steel wheels.

.Scott said:
They are certainly not equal.
You want to reduce friction at the axle and increase it at the road surface.

The coefficient of friction for the tire on a dry road surface is about 0.7.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Mechanics/frictire.html

The coefficient of friction between two lubricated hard steel surfaces is about 0.07.
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/friction_sliding_lubricated.htm#.WcO6WrJ96po
One might glance at these numbers and think "That's a ratio of 10 to 1. So we can pull ten train cars on wheels with the same effort as dragging one over the tracks with no wheels". But that reasoning misses another factor of ten or so. The wheel bearings are only about 10% as far from the center of rotation as the wheel rims. Accordingly, the rolling resistance from the wheel bearings is only about 10% as much as if the wheels were locked up on greased rails. Which is, in turn, only 10% as much as sliding rubber tires on dry pavement.

It would be useful to know whether the OP concerned braking or rolling. The conversation would take us in different directions, depending.

Likes jbriggs444
sophiecentaur said:
It would be useful to know whether the OP concerned braking or rolling. The conversation would take us in different directions, depending.
The question was about rolling friction. I read somewhere that steel wheels on rails are approx. 6 times as more efficient than tyres on a road and water transportation at low speeds is approx. 6 times more efficient than rail transport. This fact triggered the said question.

sophiecentaur said:
Are you saying that the choice of rails is just based on load carrying capability?
I guess the rolling resistance would be a more relevant quantity. I believe tyres are much more lossy than steel wheels.
Ahhh. I was suspecting that there was a difference in how we interpreted the OP, and now I believe I have identified it.
You interpreted the OP to be referring to sources of drag. I took "friction" literally - and since the load is roughly the same at the axle as it is in contact with the road, I equated it to coefficient of friction.

So the road friction I have been talking about is what would limit your acceleration or braking. While the friction you are talking about would lower you mileage.

.Scott said:
So the road friction I have been talking about is what would limit your acceleration or braking. While the friction you are talking about would lower you mileage.
I would disagree about the terminology. This is not about friction. It is about rolling resistance. The two are different things.

If you lock up your tires and skid to a stop, that's "friction".
If you leave your brakes off but fill your tires with silly putty and coast to a stop, that's "rolling resistance". It is usually better characterized as a torque than as a force.

I guess the back of a fag packet answer would be that , if steel rails are "six times more efficient" (i.e. the friction force is 1/6) and the bearings are at 10% of the distance (I would have thought more, actually), we can sort of assume the same friction force from the wheel bearings as for steel rails then the work done against the bearings would would be something like 0.12 X 1/6 of work done against the tyre's rolling resistance. Thats 2%.
Reality check: wheel bearings get warm. According to this link (they did some sums) a car could have, say 180N of rolling resistance. At 30m/s, that would mean 6.4kW of power, dissipated in the tyres. That would imply 128W (2%) dissipated in the bearings. 70 W each bearing. That would keep them a bit warm but it's less than I would have thought. The initial figures are not total nonsense, though.

sophiecentaur said:
Reality check: wheel bearings get warm. According to this link (they did some sums) a car could have, say 180N of rolling resistance.
Note that the link talks about rolling resistance, not wheel bearings.

jbriggs444 said:
I would disagree about the terminology. This is not about friction. It is about rolling resistance. The two are different things.

If you lock up your tires and skid to a stop, that's "friction".
If you leave your brakes off but fill your tires with silly putty and coast to a stop, that's "rolling resistance". It is usually better characterized as a torque than as a force.
It was the OP who asked about "friction", not "resistance" or "rolling resistance". So if you're disagreeing about terminology, it isn't with me.

.Scott said:
It was the OP who asked about "friction", not "resistance" or "rolling resistance". So if you're disagreeing about terminology, it isn't with me.
True; It was a mistake on my part; What I really wanted to say was "rolling resistance", not friction.

jbriggs444 said:
You mean this is about torque and overcoming the rolling resistance? Could well be but I was looking for friction on the axle.
Say a typical wheel diameter is 630mm. Radius 315, the torque needed to overcome rolling resistance will be 0.38 X 180 Nm

sophiecentaur said:
You mean this is about torque and overcoming the rolling resistance? Could well be but I was looking for friction on the axle.
Say a typical wheel diameter is 630mm. Radius 315, the torque needed to overcome rolling resistance will be 0.38 X 180 Nm
I am suggesting that in an automobile tire there are two sources of retarding torque/rolling resistance. One is friction at the bearings. The other is tread squirm and the lack of complete elasticity in the tire material. The article you quoted seemed to be focused on the latter.

jbriggs444 said:
Yes I got that but it seemed that the OP wanted some kind of comparison between rolling resistance ("friction") and friction at the axle ("bearings"). It's a perennial problem when the OP is not put in a universally understandable way.
Now we've decided it means the torque to overcome rolling resistance (yes?).

jbriggs444 said:
I am suggesting that in an automobile tire there are two sources of retarding torque/rolling resistance. One is friction at the bearings. The other is tread squirm and the lack of complete elasticity in the tire material. The article you quoted seemed to be focused on the latter.
We will have to wait for further instructions from the OP.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the difference between friction at the axle and at the tyre?

Friction at the axle refers to the resistance between the axle and its surrounding components, such as bearings and lubricants. Friction at the tyre, on the other hand, refers to the resistance between the tyre and the surface it is in contact with.

2. How does friction at the axle affect the performance of a vehicle?

Friction at the axle can impact the overall performance of a vehicle by affecting its speed, handling, and fuel efficiency. Higher levels of friction can lead to decreased speed and maneuverability, and can also increase fuel consumption.

3. Does the type of material used for the axle and tyre affect friction?

Yes, the materials used for the axle and tyre can have a significant impact on the level of friction. Different materials have varying levels of roughness and smoothness, which can affect how they interact with each other and the surface they are in contact with.

4. How can friction at the axle and tyre be reduced?

Friction at the axle and tyre can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a barrier between the surfaces. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction and maintaining proper tire pressure can also help reduce friction.

5. Can friction at the axle and tyre be completely eliminated?

No, friction at the axle and tyre cannot be completely eliminated. Friction is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact with each other. However, it can be minimized through proper maintenance and use of lubricants.