Finding the Minimum Coefficient of Friction Equation

• Thread starter BigMann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation for the minimum value of the coefficient of friction. The participants consider two equations, m(v^2/r) and v^2/gr, and analyze their units to determine which one makes sense in relation to the coefficient of friction. They also discuss the units of the coefficient of friction and clarify that it is a pure number, not a force. The conversation ends with the conclusion that there is no single equation for the minimum value of the coefficient of friction, as it depends on the specific situation and required amount of frictional force.
BigMann
stupid question because I forgot the equation

What is the equation for the minimum value of the coefficient of friction?

is it m(v^2/r) or v^2/gr

Physics news on Phys.org
check your units on them -- think about the units of the coefficient of friction -- then does one or the other make sense?

the correct equation is v^2/gr right?

well -- what are the units of that, and what are the units of the coefficient of friction?

I know that the coefficient of friction is Newtons

BigMann said:
I know that the coefficient of friction is Newtons
It's what we "know" that hurts! The Newton is a unit of force. While friction is a force, the coefficient of friction is not.

This then means that the first equation would have to be the right one based off of the units. And if I am incorrect than I guess I just forgot it all

The units of the first are mass x velocity^2/length -- kg/m^2/s^2/m -- is that the same as the units of the coefficient of friction?

Then analyze the second in the same way.

Analyzing units always helps -- but of course doesn't guarantee the right answer.

maybe I'm not understanding the units of the coefficient of friction. Could you explain to me what they are?

BigMann said:
maybe I'm not understanding the units of the coefficient of friction. Could you explain to me what they are?
The coefficient of friction is the ratio of two forces, the force of friction divided by the normal force. It has no units; it is a pure number.

As for your original question
BigMann said:
stupid question because I forgot the equation

What is the equation for the minimum value of the coefficient of friction?

is it m(v^2/r) or v^2/gr
This does not mean much out of context. By minimum value of the coefficient of friction I assume you mean the minimum value required to achieve some condition, such as the minimum value required to keep a block from sliding down an inclined plane or to keep a car going around a curve from skidding. There is no single equation for this. It comes from figuring out how much frictional force is required to acomplish something and dividing that required force by the normal force in the problem.

FAQ: Finding the Minimum Coefficient of Friction Equation

1. What is friction and how does it affect objects?

Friction is the resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. It affects objects by slowing them down or preventing them from moving altogether.

2. What factors can affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces can be affected by the type of material, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight or pressure applied, and the presence of lubricants.

3. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery layer between the two surfaces. Smooth or polished surfaces can also reduce friction as they have less surface roughness.

4. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Friction is present in many everyday activities, such as walking, riding a bike, and driving a car. It is also responsible for the grip between tires and the road, the movement of gears in machines, and the use of brakes to slow down or stop moving objects.

5. How does friction play a role in energy efficiency?

Friction can work against energy efficiency as it can cause machines to use more energy to overcome the resistance between moving parts. However, friction can also be harnessed in some cases, such as in brake systems, to convert kinetic energy into heat energy and slow down moving objects.