Solving Friction Force and Coefficient on a 17 kg Box on a 35 Degree Incline

In summary, The conversation discusses a question related to a 17kg box released on a 35 degree incline. The box accelerates down the incline at a rate of .270 m/s^2 and the question asks for the friction force impeding its motion and the coefficient of friction. The expert solved the equation F-Ffriction=ma and found the answer to be 92.9N by plugging in 9.8m/s^2 for acceleration and .270 m/s^2 for the box's acceleration. The person asking the question tried the answer 91N, 92
shrtweez13
i've been trying to figure this question out for about half an hour now and I'm still where I started. if some one could help me i'd be much obliged.

a 17 kg box is released on a 35 degree incline and accelerates down the incline at .270 m/s^2. Find the friction force impeding its motion. How large is the coefficient of friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
F-Ffriction=ma
(17kg*9.8m/s^2*sin35)-Ff=17kg*.27m/s^2
Ff=91N

i kind of understand what you did but its not the answer. I'm using the webassign program that let's you check your homework and i tried that answer and it didn't turn out right.

what answer did you plug in? Try 91N, 92N, or 93N

I'm leaving the coefficient of friction for you to solve

92.9N.
I got this

1. What is the formula for calculating friction force on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating friction force on an inclined plane is Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be determined by dividing the friction force by the normal force. This can be done by conducting an experiment and measuring the forces acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be affected by the type of surface, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline. Other factors such as temperature and surface roughness can also play a role.

4. How does the weight of the object affect friction force on an inclined plane?

The weight of the object affects friction force on an inclined plane because it determines the normal force, which is a key component in the calculation of friction force. As the weight of the object increases, so does the normal force, resulting in a higher friction force.

5. How can we reduce friction force on an inclined plane?

Friction force on an inclined plane can be reduced by using a lubricant on the surface, decreasing the weight of the object, or using a smoother surface. Another way to reduce friction force is by decreasing the angle of the incline, as this decreases the normal force and consequently, the friction force.