Why is the friction greater on rear wheels than front wheels in a car?

In summary, the friction on the driving wheels is greater than on the non-driving wheels. This is due to the weight of the car being equally distributed on the front and rear wheels, which causes the forces to be unbalanced.
lavankohsa
fz28og.png

My book says option a,b,c is correct. I am able to understand the option a and b but why the friction has larger magnitude on rear wheels than the front wheels.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to me it should be same because weight of the car is equally distributed on front and rear wheels.

Physics news on Phys.org
lavankohsa said:
because weight of the car is equally distributed on front and rear wheels.
It is not (see motorbikes for extreme examples), but that is not the point: the car is accelerating, so the forces are not balanced.

mfb said:
motorbikes for extreme examples

Ok. and what about if the car is moving with uniform speed then front and rear wheel should have equal friction ?

If you neglect air resistance (something you cannot do for real cars), yes.

But if car is in pure rolling motion, then the friction is zero i guess .

In an even more hypothetical example where there is no friction at all and the car is going at constant speed, friction is zero.

lavankohsa post: 5007298 said:
According to me it should be same because weight of the car is equally distributed on front and rear wheels.
Even if the weight were equally distributed, that only says the maximum frictional force is the same on each. In rolling motion, the actual frictional force is anything from 0 to maximum (static) frictional force (in any direction).
The actual frictional force on the non-driving wheels is typically very low, since it only needs to be sufficient to overcome rolling resistance of the tyres and provide their rotational acceleration. The actual frictional force of the driving wheels has to overcome that of the non-driving wheels plus provide for the acceleration of the vehicle.

lavankohsa said:
But if car is in pure rolling motion, then the friction is zero i guess .
Only if the car is coasting. If it is accelerating on the flat or maintaining a constant speed on a hill (or moving in any way that an engineless cart would not) then there must be some friction.

Edit: if it is accelerating at all there must be friction to provide the angular acceleration of the wheels, so that includes coasting up or down hill.

Last edited:
Thanks all for reply

1. What causes friction on the wheels of a car?

The friction on the wheels of a car is caused by the contact between the rubber tires and the road surface. As the car moves, the tires are constantly rolling and rubbing against the road, creating friction.

2. How does friction affect a car's performance?

Friction on the wheels of a car can affect its performance in several ways. It can decrease the car's speed and acceleration, increase fuel consumption, and cause wear and tear on the tires and other parts of the car.

3. Can friction on the wheels of a car be reduced?

Yes, friction on the wheels of a car can be reduced by using tires with low rolling resistance, maintaining proper tire pressure, and keeping the wheels aligned and balanced. Additionally, using lubricants on the moving parts of the car can also reduce friction.

4. How does the weight of a car impact friction on its wheels?

The weight of a car can impact the amount of friction on its wheels. A heavier car will experience more friction, as there is more weight pressing down on the tires and creating more contact with the road surface. This can also affect the car's handling and braking abilities.

5. What are the consequences of too much or too little friction on a car's wheels?

If there is too much friction on a car's wheels, it can lead to decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, and potential damage to the tires and other parts of the car. On the other hand, too little friction can cause the car to lose traction and control, especially in wet or slippery road conditions.