Frictional Force in Circular Motion: Exploring the Relationship with Radius

In summary, the frictional force exerted by the track on the car as it drives along a curved track is dependent on the radius of the track. This force must be equal and opposite in direction to the frictional force exerted by the car on the track to prevent the car from slipping. Therefore, the correct answer is either C or E, depending on the interpretation of the word "dependent" in option E.
HaoPhysics

Homework Statement

A car drives along a curved track. The frictional force exerted by the track on the car is:

a. greater than the frictional force exerted by the car on the track
b. directed radially outward
c. opposite in direction to the frictional force exerted by the car on the track
d. zero if the car's speed is constant
e. dependent on the radius of the track

Homework Equations

mV2/R = Centripetal force
Ffr = Fc if the car is to not slide

The Attempt at a Solution

So the track must exert a frictional force on the car equal to its centripetal force as it rounds the circle to prevent it from slipping. And this centripetal force is dependent on the radius of the track R.

So from this I think the answer could be E.

But also, between any two objects A and B, the friction A exerts on B is equal and opposite in direction to the frictional force B exerts on A.

So from this I think the answer could be C.

The book says the answer is C. But I want to know why it can't be E.

Physics news on Phys.org
E is also a correct answer.
HaoPhysics said:
But I want to know why it can't be E.
Because the book says so. Seriously, though, E looks correct to me because the force of static friction needed is ##f_s=\frac{mv^2}{R}##. Of course it also depends on the speed and mass of the car, not only on the radius of the track, but I don't see an "only" in E.

kuruman said:
E is also a correct answer.

Because the book says so. Seriously, though, E looks correct to me because the force of static friction needed is ##f_s=\frac{mv^2}{R}##. Of course it also depends on the speed and mass of the car, not only on the radius of the track, but I don't see an "only" in E.

Thanks for the input! And yes, I feel that a part of the secondary education program is learning to question the books.

E is badly worded? The friction force is inversely dependant/proportional on the radius.

HaoPhysics said:
Thanks for the input! And yes, I feel that a part of the secondary education program is learning to question the books.
Not just the books. Question everything.

CWatters said:
E is badly worded? The friction force is inversely dependant/proportional on the radius.
That is also a good point.

kuruman said:
Not just the books. Question everything.

Very true. I like your signature quote.

CWatters said:
E is badly worded? The friction force is inversely dependant on the radius.
In my understanding, "dependent" could possibly mean linearly, inversely, inversely squared, exponentially, whatever. As long as there is a "radius" (independent variable) on the right side, the force of friction (dependent variable) is "dependent" regardless the functional form. If the author of the question meant "directly proportional", then it is a poorly phrased question. Again in my opinion.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path, with a constant distance from a fixed point. This is also known as uniform circular motion, as the speed of the object remains constant but the direction changes continuously.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity.

3. How is friction related to circular motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In circular motion, friction acts as a centripetal force, which helps to keep the object moving along its circular path.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction in circular motion?

The amount of friction in circular motion is affected by the mass and speed of the object, as well as the surface materials and the angle of the surface. Friction increases with higher mass and speed, and with rougher surfaces and larger surface contact areas.

5. How can we reduce friction in circular motion?

To reduce friction in circular motion, we can use lubricants such as oil or grease on the surfaces in contact, or use smoother materials for the surfaces. Additionally, reducing the mass and speed of the object can also decrease the amount of friction.