1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictional force on a car on an inclined plane

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    A 2319kg car is moving down a road with a slope grade of 11% and slowing down at a rate of 3.8m/s^2.Find the direction and magnitude of the frictional force ( define positive in the forward direction ie down the slope)

So the equation I have is f= ma+ mgsinθ. For my angle I get arctan(.11)= 6.27

Plug in. f= 2319*3.8 +2319*9.81*sin6.27 Ive already drawn a FBD. since the friction is moving forward it should be a negative answer (according to the question).... BUT I'm confused because if its slowing down is my acceleration supposed to be negative when I plug it in. This would make my answer negative....but would the fact that the acceleration is moving in negative direction cancel it out and make it positive?? I know I'm confusing myself I just don't know if my (a) should be negative and how it will effect the sign of the overall answer....help please

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Your relevant equation of motion is: [tex] mg\sin\theta - F_f = ma [/tex]

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3
    Oh, but do u enter my (a) as negative since the car is slowing down?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook