Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friends and selfishness

i rely...

Poll closed Jun 23, 2007.
  1. on my friends

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. only on my close friends

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. on my acquitances

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. only on myself

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 16, 2007 #1
    the more i grow up the more i realize that most of my school colleagues and peers are very selfish and that i should not rely on them. So i'd like to know what you guys think about this

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I rely on family, friends (both close and not so), colleagues, acquaintances, and even strangers.

I prefer to give people the benefit of doubt, and I think most people try to do the right thing.

4. Jun 16, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are many levels of trust. It also depends on what might be gained by betrayal.

5. Jun 16, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I have friends that I see only a few times a year, and some that I haven't seen for years. There are some that I could call at 11:00 tonight and they would be here ASAP, and I would do the same for them. Acquaintances and family are fine. Friends are GOLD!

I've got to add that I've got some biker buddies who are true-blue, even though we don't always hang out every weekend. Some of these guys literally fill doorways, and none of them are posers with all kinds of attitude - they're just people. One is a huge (tall, not just big) 300# Vietnam vet who does woodworking to keep him sane and another is a real-estate agent with hands as big as dinner plates. Either would be here in a flash if we had a problem.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  6. Jun 16, 2007 #5

Astronuc

This is true. I didn't qualify the level of reliance or trust.

I consider the guys I work with in my group as friends, but some are closer than others. The two guys I work closest with came on board during the last 6 months. I had worked with them in the past, and I am very glad and pleased to be working with them again. They are kind of like soulmates in a way. Actually our group just got larger with a new hire (PhD) from MIT - he's still got a lot to learn.

I consider the more senior colleagues to be somewhat like friends, but they move in different circles and they have their older friends based on common experience.

Good Friends are certainly GOLD!

7. Jun 16, 2007 #6
    yeah...but y'all know many people are "double-faced"...they seem to be gentle and kind but they are greedy and envious always trying to overcome their peers. It's all about status

8. Jun 16, 2007 #7

Astronuc

None of my friends are like that though. I do not associate with people who are concerned about status or in some way conceited.

I think most folks I encounter are hard working decent folk.

Yesterday, I visited a farmers market near work, and I had a delightful conversation with woman who was selling breads, cheeses and sausages. It was a very pleasant experience, and she encouraged me to try samples. I bought a roll of bread, some provolone, and some spicy sausage.

Today, I visited another farmers market and I had a very nice conversation with a bee keeper and ended up buying some raspberry honey and buckwheat honey. While I was there, a local farmer came by and enquired about getting a hive over to his farm. I visisted a few other vendors and bought a quart of strawberries from one and a bottle of locally produced red wine.

All those enounters were very pleasant, and nobody put on a false front.

9. Jun 16, 2007 #8
    i totally agree witchu...materialism shifts people away from human essence. Here in Portugal, villagers are very kind because they are simple people but in da cities it's different...urban people r more concerned with material goods, wealth, status etc..

10. Aug 15, 2007 #9
    Hi

I would like to give you my opinion, but it's hard to me to say it in english.

Human beeings are selfish allways, even when doing a good thing to others,
    it does'nt meen that that person does'nt wait for saying thanks. it is about what I call it 'I', it's inside every one. 'I' acts without controling it, and we can't feel it, it makes us do things we do not why. Every thing you do has a price, the 'I' knows that, and it waits the right moment. The 'I' is yoou, a piece of you. Its function is to make you survive. Day by day the 'I' grows an becames more greedy. The more the 'I' takes and gives, the more it became bigger. And its needs became bigger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?