Are My Friends Really Selfish: A Reflection on Growing Up

• Thread starter jonegil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary, as we grow up, we often realize that many of our school colleagues and peers are selfish. This can make us question whether we should rely on them. However, it is important to remember that there are many levels of trust and different types of relationships. While some people may only be acquaintances or colleagues, there are also friends who are like gold to us. It is also important to give people the benefit of doubt and not judge them based on their status or material possessions. Ultimately, as humans, we all have a part of us that is selfish and acts without us even realizing it. It is important to be aware of this and not let it control our actions.

i rely...

• on my friends

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • only on my close friends

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • on my acquitances

• only on myself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jonegil
the more i grow up the more i realize that most of my school colleagues and peers are very selfish and that i should not rely on them. So i'd like to know what you guys think about this

Physics news on Phys.org
I rely on family, friends (both close and not so), colleagues, acquaintances, and even strangers.

I prefer to give people the benefit of doubt, and I think most people try to do the right thing.

Astronuc said:
I rely on family, friends (both close and not so), colleagues, acquaintances, and even strangers.

I prefer to give people the benefit of doubt, and I think most people try to do the right thing.

There are many levels of trust. It also depends on what might be gained by betrayal.

I have friends that I see only a few times a year, and some that I haven't seen for years. There are some that I could call at 11:00 tonight and they would be here ASAP, and I would do the same for them. Acquaintances and family are fine. Friends are GOLD!

I've got to add that I've got some biker buddies who are true-blue, even though we don't always hang out every weekend. Some of these guys literally fill doorways, and none of them are posers with all kinds of attitude - they're just people. One is a huge (tall, not just big) 300# Vietnam vet who does woodworking to keep him sane and another is a real-estate agent with hands as big as dinner plates. Either would be here in a flash if we had a problem.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
There are many levels of trust. It also depends on what might be gained by betrayal.
This is true. I didn't qualify the level of reliance or trust.

I consider the guys I work with in my group as friends, but some are closer than others. The two guys I work closest with came on board during the last 6 months. I had worked with them in the past, and I am very glad and pleased to be working with them again. They are kind of like soulmates in a way. Actually our group just got larger with a new hire (PhD) from MIT - he's still got a lot to learn.

I consider the more senior colleagues to be somewhat like friends, but they move in different circles and they have their older friends based on common experience.

Good Friends are certainly GOLD!

yeah...but y'all know many people are "double-faced"...they seem to be gentle and kind but they are greedy and envious always trying to overcome their peers. It's all about status

jonegil said:
yeah...but y'all know many people are "double-faced"...they seem to be gentle and kind but they are greedy and envious always trying to overcome their peers. It's all about status
None of my friends are like that though. I do not associate with people who are concerned about status or in some way conceited.

I think most folks I encounter are hard working decent folk.

Yesterday, I visited a farmers market near work, and I had a delightful conversation with woman who was selling breads, cheeses and sausages. It was a very pleasant experience, and she encouraged me to try samples. I bought a roll of bread, some provolone, and some spicy sausage.

Today, I visited another farmers market and I had a very nice conversation with a bee keeper and ended up buying some raspberry honey and buckwheat honey. While I was there, a local farmer came by and enquired about getting a hive over to his farm. I visisted a few other vendors and bought a quart of strawberries from one and a bottle of locally produced red wine.

All those enounters were very pleasant, and nobody put on a false front.

i totally agree witchu...materialism shifts people away from human essence. Here in Portugal, villagers are very kind because they are simple people but in da cities it's different...urban people r more concerned with material goods, wealth, status etc..

Hi

I would like to give you my opinion, but it's hard to me to say it in english.

Human beeings are selfish allways, even when doing a good thing to others,
it doesn't meen that that person doesn't wait for saying thanks. it is about what I call it 'I', it's inside every one. 'I' acts without controling it, and we can't feel it, it makes us do things we do not why. Every thing you do has a price, the 'I' knows that, and it waits the right moment. The 'I' is yoou, a piece of you. Its function is to make you survive. Day by day the 'I' grows an becames more greedy. The more the 'I' takes and gives, the more it became bigger. And its needs became bigger.

1. What does it mean to be selfish?

Being selfish means prioritizing one's own needs and desires above those of others, often at the expense of others' well-being. It can manifest in various behaviors such as not sharing, not considering others' feelings, or always putting oneself first.

2. How can I tell if my friends are being selfish?

Pay attention to how your friends act and treat you in different situations. Do they always expect you to do things for them without reciprocating? Do they often disregard your feelings or needs? These may be signs that your friends are exhibiting selfish behavior.

3. Is it normal for friends to be selfish?

It is natural for people to have some degree of selfishness, as we all have our own needs and desires. However, a healthy friendship involves balance and mutual consideration. If your friends consistently prioritize themselves and disregard your well-being, it may not be a healthy dynamic.

4. Can selfishness be a sign of maturity?

Not necessarily. While it is important to prioritize self-care and set boundaries, constantly putting oneself above others can be a sign of immaturity. True maturity involves being considerate and empathetic towards others.

5. How can I address selfish behavior in my friends?

It is important to communicate openly and honestly with your friends about how their behavior is affecting you. Approach the conversation calmly and without accusations. It may also be helpful to suggest ways in which your friends can show more consideration towards you and others. However, if the behavior continues and negatively impacts your well-being, it may be necessary to reevaluate the friendship.